Question: Zippo Lighter

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
I didnt fill it with anything. I left the lighter parts inside of it too. I made a wooden fixture that clamps from the sides not the top, be careful with the tops as they are easy to dent. I crushed one lighter top then made the fixture for the side. The brushed chrome ones cut real nice, they are brass underneath the chrome.
Good luck,
Keith

Joe

Hey Keith, Thanks for the response. I'm surprised to hear that the brushed chrome ones cut good. I imagined the chrome flaking off. I'll have to try one. I have a couple of brass ones that should cut ok. Their website shows sterling ones.(pretty expensive)

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've had some problems with the brushed chrome. Not flaking, just a pain to engrave because a difference of a few molecules of chrome makes a big difference in the toughness of the layer. Using lube on the graver seems to help.

I made my fixture out of ThermoLoc.

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
Joe, I have engraved great many of them. I figured that the most practical way to hold them is with masking tape. One layer around the lighter's sides, and one layer around the vises of your block. It is practical to put a wood block of the right size, to support the lighter from underneath.

At placing, make sure that the hinges go in the groove of your vise. If it is solid brass, it might be practical to remove the lacker from the surface with denatured alcohol, so You can sandpaper it during the process if that's your habit, but surely You can polish or just buff it when finished. Good luck, have fun.

Greetings - Ivan

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
Steve, my solution to cut through the chrome plating: starting all cuts with my elbow high, and lowering my arm when I incised deeper. And most of all: forget about fine lines, they just won't work with that hard surface. I used only 90 degree angle gravers, or even less.

Greetings - Ivan

I've had some problems with the brushed chrome. Not flaking, just a pain to engrave because a difference of a few ecules of chrome makes a big difference in the toughness of the layer. Using lube on the graver seems to help.

I made my fixture out of ThermoLoc.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Joe,
I've never had a problem with the chrome flaking off or cutting through it, Im heavy handed though. All were carved with my gravermax or the Ngraver. The chrome ones that aren't "brushed" are very hard to cut. I have cut the silver and copper plated ones too with no problems. Heres a picture of a zippo I did years ago, not a great pic, but you can see no chipping. All the wriggle cuts were done by hand and I used the Ngraver tool at the time.
Keith

Attachments

• 2010_0802engravedstuff0001.jpg
    2010_0802engravedstuff0001.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
I did make a wooden form to fit inside, made from pine it was easy to do , fits em' all and no worries about , I wonder if its gonna give way now?:eek:

Latest posts

Sponsors