French fitting a box

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How is the material (felt, velvet?) attached to the support sections of a French fitted case- for guns usually, but I'd like to make one for my Stanley plane?
Thanks!
:confused:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Cloudy: Back in my New Orleans Arms days we used high grade pool table felt. I believe it was wool. / ~Sam

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
Cloudy,

Walmart is selling felt with adhesive back, it is in the crafts section. I padded a small box, it came out fine. I don't know how would it work with irregular shapes. Costs only a few bucks, worth to try...

Greetings - Ivan

Attachments

• 100_0348.jpg
    100_0348.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 138

Ed Davet

Cloudy
Not sure about "support sections", but you could cut out some 2.3 lb polyethylene white foam the shape of your fancy plane. The thickness of the foam would depend on the dimensions of your plane. I use wool billiard felt to cover the foam usually 21 oz or better. I spray both surfaces with 3m's Super 77 spray adhesive to adhere the felt to the foam. Then cut the felt out of the spot for the plane, leaving about 1/2" of material on the outside edge of the cutout. i then glue that 1/2" edge down with E6000 adhesive and pin it in place with map pins until it dries. Using the felt material I make a liner for the verticle cutout section of the foam. make it about 1" longer than the depth of the foam, hem that piece and then glue it in place with the E6000 and pin it in place till the glue dries.
Felt is available on ebay - adhesive from hardware or craft stores.
Hope that is somewhat clear and is of some help.
Ed

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
Ed - the way I read your instructions, is it the hemmed edge that would give you that fancy raised edge around the opening, that I call French fitting???

Ed Davet

Mike,
A "French Fitted" case is where all objects within are nested in a form fitted cutout for that particular object.
Some cases are made with compartments where the objects are free to bounce around. Sometimes a strap is provided to secure an object in these compartments.
The hemmed piece I was referring to would be used sometimes in the "French Fitted" case. The hemmed piece is the one that is glued in vertically to the foam with the hem usually flush with the top of the finished foam and fabric.

This is a French Fitted case.
Ed

Attachments

• AthenaR.jpg
    AthenaR.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 209

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The stuff in most fitted gun cases is called Ultrasuede. PM Yves Halliburton with some specific questions as he's made several.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
I intend to build a case using the "green screen" felt fabric my son used as a backdrop in filming special effects sequences. He left a huge sheet, dozens of yards wide and long, of the stuff in my attic when he moved away.

It is a bilious green color, but the Irish half of me likes it.

Mike Fennell

Aventuraal

A couple of observations born out of experience (aircraft interiors and mold machining work); first, 3M 77 adhesive is not permanent, it will fail over time, and that failure is accelerated by heat; second, Type 77 adhesive will attack and destroy EPS foam, no matter what the density; third, don't ever use it with vinyl. The plasticizers in the vinyl have an affiinity for the adhesive, will migrate to the glue line, and break the bond very quickly (within weeks); and leave a greasy film covering everything.

Latest posts

Sponsors