Help in locating Nimschke book

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I found two internet sites selling L.D. Nimschke firerarms engraver.
JoeSalter.com and AuctionArms.com for $99.99 each. Both sites seem to be offering a copy of the book reprinted in 1992. Has anyone ordered one of these reprints from either site / were you satisfied with the book? Also, is this copy exactly the same or inferior as far a pictures / quality go? While reading posts after a search on this site I saw opinions both ways. I met with Jerry Harper today and he showed me his copy from 1966 or so (not sure if I'm remembering the correct date published) and I was blown away by the quality of the pictures. Much better than the small color pictures in the coffee table books I have. I need to get this book. Thanks in advance for any help in locating this book.:thumbs up:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The newer editions are good except there are 2 plates that are not too clear as to a poor job of screening the image. Other than that.they are worth the money. Of course if you can find an older copy for sale you would pay a lot more. Buy it. It's a great reference study

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
half dot com and alibri has those now and then so keep your eyes peeled. That 99 dollar version is about as cheap as you're likely to find it unless you have a stroke of luck.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Jerry, I just placed my order. Since this book usually goes for $200.00 plus dollars, I'll be happy if I can make out at least half the pictures. I'll let everyone know how it turns out since I saw the original book. Thanks again.:thumbs up:

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Michael,

You are going to find the study of Nimschke's work to be an interesting journey...to me he never gets old or boring, there is so much to see. In a word his designs are "rich"!
You chose well!

Weldon

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Weldon, if I can ever come close to your and Jerry's engraving I'll be extremely pleased. I keep looking at the Colt's you posted recently. They are a great source of motivation to me. Please keep posting pictures, it helps us beginners to keep the prize in sight at all times.:thumbs up:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Much better than the small color pictures in the coffee table books I have. I need to get this book. Thanks in advance for any help in locating this book.:thumbs up:

Michael - Are you saying the 1966 issue had color pictures OR another book you have has some color pictures of Nimschkes work?

I have a 1965 published date edition and the only color is the dust jacket?

Everything within the book is black and white.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Well, I finally broke down and ordered the book. Thanks Jerry for the link. I should have bought this book years ago.

All those Italian books I have are great, but it's hard to beat the creative talents of guys like Nimschke and Bergling.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Peter, I meant the pictures are easier to see the scroll work in the Nimschke book because they are bigger and black / white. The coffee table books are smaller pictures and the finish makes it harder to see the engraving.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I just wanted to let anyone out there who wanted to get the 1992 edition of R.L. WIlson's L.D. Nimschke Firearms Engraver book, that I am more than happy with my copy since it cost only $100.00 bucks. There are only a few of the game scenes that are very small and didn't show up very well, but I think the earlier edition had a few pic's like that also. I'll let someone who has that copy chime in. Thanks to Jerry for showing the link to abe books. BSG books in Covington Louisiana is who is selling the book and you can order directly from him and save even more money ($90.00). He also sent me a 62 page catalogue of rare and hard to find books. His e-mail is bsgbooks@bellsouth.net. I hope this helps people who like me either couldn't spend $200-$300 bucks on the book or didn't want to spend that much on a book. It may be a couple clear pic's shy of the origainal but is well worht $100 bucks IMHO.:thumbs up:

Latest posts

Sponsors