German gun book suggestions

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Hi guys. I need to find some reference books on engraved bolt rifles. Preferably Germanic in style. I have a several custom mausers coming my way over the next few years. I have done some in the past, but a good picture book would certainly help in designing and getting a better feel for what is appealing on this style of gun. My typical steroids/silicone, sex/violence type themes certainly won't do it. So any advice on which books to take a look at would be much appreciated. Thanks. Brian

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Engraved german guns

Brian,The only books I have on German rifles are single shot,double rifles, drillings.Old German Target Alte Schecben Waffen by Tom RoweVol 1&2,Kunstlerische Waffen gravuren by Ferlacher Meister.Not many bolt actin rifle,but some really nice engraved guns.Hope this will help. The only bolt action rifles I get to see are in the news letter from the German Gun Collectors. J.J. :beerchug:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Brian

To follow up what JJ has just said...........if I remember correctly The German Gun Collectors Assn had some very nice books at Reno on display.

They were not your usual books from Amazon but more German orientated.

You should have their e-mail/web address in one of the back issues of the engraver.........if not, let me know and I'll send you an e-mail address.

Deitrich Apel from the association is a most helpful and delightful guy to deal with and has a vast knowledge in this area.

Cheers
Andrew

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Old Gun Digests would have a lot of pictures including bolt guns. Gun Engraving Review has a few done by Kornbrath, Griebel, Fugger and other German or Austrian trained engravers.

Head over to www.doublegunshop.com , go to the forums for custm single barrel guns and look up Michael Petrov. He has an incredible collection of pre-war sporters with engraving by the likes of those listed by Mr. Welch. Michael is a good photographer and has numerous pictures of his rifles.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks all for the leads. I was hoping there was a Noboli style book out there that I had missed, devoted to bolt rifles, no such luck. Looks like I will have to put together my own collection of pictures on the subject. Which should be easy enough with the info posted here. Thanks again for taking the time to post up and lend some info. Best regards. Brian

Sponsors