problem with gravermach

joris

hello,i have a question for you;)
i own a gravermach since about 4 years .however last weeks i have a problem which i will try to explain.technical words are a bit difficult because i'm dutch.
: if i push my footpedal at a constant speed,my handpiece sometimes increases power..so my control of the handpiece is getting very difficult.it's very strange,i compare it with when you press the pedal harder and the power increases..but i'm sure i keep it steady.
i listened to the main unit and i hear a sort of motor running when gravermach is turned on,however i can hear a slight ....not constant....sort of running.i hope someone knows what i'm talking about and knows what to do?i cleaned my handpiece plus recently had a new footpedal.
thank you and have a nice day!
joris

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You may have a worn piston in your hand-piece. You may be sucking moisture into the unit, or the rotary inside the unit may need cleaned. Are you using a 901 hand-piece? If it's been worked to death I would bet it's the piston.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Also check your foot pedal. I had a similar problem - basically the same thing in reverse.

I could stomp on the pedal as hard as I could and get just a bare bit of motion, or it could work fine.

I took apart the foot pedal and cleaned out some debris that had gotten into it and that fixed the problem.

I bought a regulator to run my Lindsay Classic from my compressor and the first one I got had... something wrong with it. Steve Lindsay exchanged it for a new one (which works fine) and later called me to tell me he had figured out the problem with the first one. A small bit of packing plastic had managed to get wedged into one of the hose barbs and acted as a flapper valve - kicking in at random too, just to make it more fun.

So check your new foot pedal - all the way from the connection on the back of the unit out.

The sound you hear always coming out of the main unit is the rotor that provides the pulses for the air. It uses air to 'lubricate' it which is why you're not supposed to leave the unit turned on with the air turned off.

joris

hello guys,thanks for the quick reply!
i am 100 % sure imy pedal is good,because i did have a problem with it a few weeks ago but i got a new one,i also tried one from a friend then.so that is oke.
i use a magnum handpiece,i think about changing to a 901,much lighter and maybe more accurate for fine lining.
next week i have a appointment at alexandre in antwerp,wondering what they say...
i let you know!
greetings

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Joris, The best thing to do is to contact GRS directly. Send an email to JB Talylor. They will probably call you and help you with your problem. It could be a number of things. JB will be able to help he is the tech guy there and knows his stuff when it comes to their machines. Support is something they excell in. Chris

joris

thanks for your reply's
i was planning on going to antwerp for a check up,but thought..maybe clean my handpiece one more time..and as a miracle happened after cleaning it worked great again.strange because i cleaned it 2 times in the week before that,and still keps the problem.i do however think about changing to 901 instead of the magnum i use now,it is very heavy when engraving for hours at a time.
thanks!
joris

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Joris,
By all means, check with JB at GRS. He really knows his stuff.
But may I suggest that if you need to keep cleaning your hand piece it may be that the incoming air is the problem.
Check your compressor, bleed the tank and check all the filters for moisture or dirt.
You must provide the machine with clean, dry air.
Best.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's been so humid here it's astounding how much moisture my little compressor builds up in just a few hours of use.

Don't forget to occasionally open the drain on the bottom to get the water out of your compressor!

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you have a compressor that uses oil you need a oil coalising filter to remove oil mist and the usual water filter. And drain ofter as KC Steve said:thumbs up:

joris

hello,i did talk to jb indeed when i had a problem earlier,and he helped me out great.so i thought,maybe he gets tired of helping me out again haha.so i contacted alexandre antwerp,they are supplier of grs in belgium and they also know the basics i think about maintenance of the machine.
i do however have one question more:i noticed that there is air leaking out of my handpiece.as i said earlier,i use a magnum,and it has little holes on the side..i believe air leaks out of there.and the amount of air leaking varies when i turn my handpiece in different angles..is that somekind of rubber sealing or so that is worn out maybe?or it is normal and just didn't notice it before?
greetings joris