The Official Ryder Cup Gun

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank all for the kind comments!
Agree with everyone else - fabulous work, incredible quality on the portrait of Mr. Ryder but he doesn't seem like he was enjoying himself.
He was not prone to smiling!
Phil,

I'll take a stab at the symbolism, The eagle for team America . The griffin for Wales, where the match will be held and the circle of 12 stars on the triggerguard is the flag of the European Union for Team Europe.
Roger
You're right Roger except it's a Welsh dragon and not a griffin :big grin:

Here's a closeup of the portrait, unfortunately it was'nt taken with a macro lense and a link to the tournament, and no....I don't play golf!

http://www.celtic-manor.com/viewNews.aspx?ni=261

Phil

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sometimes when a piece like this is posted I think "Why the hell did I give up shoeing mules and draft horses-At least I was pretty good at that" Then I pick up my cane and remember-Phil, You are astounding-Fred

It really is quite an achievemnet. The level in which you engrave is beyond what I ever expect to even aspire to.

It brings to mind a question. You obviously set a high bar for yourself, and I've never heard anyone who performs at the top of their craft say they couldn't improve. Where do you see a weakness ( relative term of course) in your work? Maybe a better phrasing would be where do you want to improve?

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bullfeathers! That's just a photo he glued to the gun. No one can get that much depth and gray gradations scratchin' on metal!

Adjectives fail me!

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It brings to mind a question. You obviously set a high bar for yourself, and I've never heard anyone who performs at the top of their craft say they couldn't improve. Where do you see a weakness ( relative term of course) in your work? Maybe a better phrasing would be where do you want to improve?
I don't know, i'm too busy working to think about it, but what I do know is, never be completely satisfied with your work, always strive to do better next time and like you say, set your bar high!

Last edited:

WDA

Phil,

Another prizewinner ! Thanks for keeping us mystified

and for showing us this great piece .

Bill Albers

(Charlie , I've heard there have been numerous UFO sitings
in Wales for a period of years and after each one someone
ends up with a museum quality gun added to their collection.)

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phill, I don't know if I have to thank you for putting the bar even higher now.
But sure your work is great, the portrait sure has at least a 5MB pixel pattern.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A megapixel (MP or Mpx) is 1 million pixels, and is a term used not only for the number of pixels in an image, but also to express the number of image sensor elements of digital cameras or the number of display elements of digital displays. For example, a camera with an array of 2048×1536 sensor elements is commonly said to have "3.1 megapixels" (2048 × 1536 = 3,145,728).

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors