Announcement: New engraving school (with todays technology)

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
I have been working on This Idea for quite some time . The options were videoconferencing with codec systems etc... Very expensive and it takes a lot of bandwidth. I tried webinars, but the video is terrible. I thought about skype, but too many problems. I found the solution I have worked out right here in Traverse City. This is a pc based system that works well I have a student now and we have been working out all the issues. The video is crystal clear. I have cameras set for the microscope an a high end tilt pan zoom that can be pointed to anything I need. It's all working great. I tested it overseas as well and it works well there. The website will be ready by the end of the week . I am calling it The Engravers studio. I have attached a pdf file with all the info from the website. It will have pay pal and also a members area password protected with video and info for people who have taken a course. This will give students added support.

I have set dates for the first class which will be bulino. The dates are July 19th thru the 30th. the cost is 950.00 usd. For those that are interested in signing up for this first course contact me at chrisdecamillis@hotmail.com or by private message.

Here is the info on the home page. If this interests you then look at the pdf file for more details. Thanks Chris

Learn to Engrave
HOME
Learn New Skills or Advance Your Engraving and Stone Setting
Learning has never been easier. This is the most innovative way you can learn today. It's no longer necessary to travel to a destination to learn these exciting skills. All that's necessary is the desire and a home computer.
How it Works
The classes are held in your own home or workshop via the Internet. This isn't your typical online course. These are courses taught live by professional engravers and stone setters. This system utilizes high quality video conferencing technology. It's a live course in real time in which you will view your instructor and they can view you as well as all other participants in the class if you choose to do so. It will be as if you are in a classroom setting except you will be in the comfort of your own environment.
This means that your costs will be reduced significantly, since there are no expenses for transportation, meals, or lodging.
ADVANTAGES FOR LEARNING
Courses will be offered in a two-week format; meeting three or four hour sessions every other day. The off days will give you time to practice and absorb what you have learned. This method is more conducive to learning than the traditional five-day training which compacts the learning leaving no opportunity for practice, resulting in less retention of the material.
Live support will be available on non class days. Classes can be tailored to fit your schedule. We can meet during evening hours so you can go about your normal daily activities. This means little or no time off work. For the busy jeweler, taking a class after closing time means no lost revenue or time away from your business. You can increase your skills and remain competitive in today's market without leaving your work behind.
Our training facility is located in the Eastern Day Light Standard Time Zone. If you live in another time zone, we can create a plan that will work for your schedule.
For the workshop that has several people at the bench, we can customize a class to fit your needs.
Individual training is also offered on an hourly basis. Training can be scheduled whenever it's convenient for you; for one session or one session a week. You name it. Imagine taking a class and then a week or even a few months later being able to schedule a time for your instructor to answer your questions and critique your latest engraving project.

Attachments

• Learn_to_Engrave_1[1].pdf
    685.8 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

Ron Finch

I am Chris's first on line student and am glad to report that it is working great.

I can see what Chris is doing extreamly well and he can see what i am doing. When we are working togehter its like he is in the room with me. No lag time I see better than when I am in a class with a small upfront cost. I bought a Logitech Orbital AF web camera pluged it in and we were working.

I am a skilled bench jeweler and have attended week long classes. My problem has always been that I come back to work a 60+ hour week and have to catch up what didn't get done while I was away. So I never get back to what I went to class for untill I have forgotten most of what I saw or heard.

The way I am working with Chris is I have two hours a week that he and I are on line toghether and then I practice that untill the next week and we go to the next step. Others may want to put more time in during a week but I can only manage a few hours a week to myself as a custome jeweler, store owner. This is the right method for me.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That sounds very interesting. It should do quit well. Will there be sample snip-its for the interested to see it in action?

Last edited:

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I have taken bulino classes from Chis. This guy is one talented engraver with much to pass off onto any one who wants to learn these skills.
I've gone over this new internet class program with Chris and it does have some great advantages. This is an opportunity to learn from a master.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sounds great Chris!

As soon as I get down to my bench I'll run the tests to see if my bench computer's got a good enough connection, just for future reference. Had to get a new router recently and on the plus side, the upstairs computers are all getting .N connections so they're as fast wireless as they if I plug in a cable.

My bench computer, however, is only picking up a .G connection and seems to be slow. May have to get it a USB .N adapter to get it up to speed.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Great idea, Chris. My son has given courses on lighting and animation from the Glendale, California campus for the various Dreamworks campuses using a two-way system with wall-sized video screens at all locations, and he says it is like being in the same room with the class, even though the classrooms are in Texas and northern California, etc.

What you are doing should work very well for our purposes and cost much less to do. Good luck with it.

Mike Fennell

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sounds like a winner.
Lots of advantages; most of all is the instructor.
I haven't read all the details in the pdf file, but I would like to take a course in lettering using your methodology and format.
Kevin P.

Eddi

Elite Cafe Member
This is great Chris! This will give more people the chance to learn from you. The only down side is that they will not meet you in person. I got just as much out of the after class discussions we had in Antwerp.
Good luck with this.

Eddi

Steveareno

Hi Chris,

This is so weird! I just posted this question on the other forum and here it is. This sounds really cool am I am interested too. I need to read the details in your pdf. About Time!:yes

Steve Shepherd

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ran the test linked in the PDF - my bench system is good to go! :thumbs up:

I'd also be interested in hearing about a lettering class.

BTW, got to play with my RingGenie today :banana:

ARM2

Now there's hope for us earthbound poor aspirants.
No more plotting to rob any banks.
Don't need to join the Mafia or the Dilinger Clan anymore.
Way to Go, SIR CHRIS !!!!
aRM2

jack

That is just great Chris. If your classes are as good as your Ring Genie, it is going to be the best. Jack

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris,

Awesome idea....now we can tell each other "that looks like $#it" live and in living color!

Love ya man,

WL

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
I won't have my act together to take you bilino class in July. Are you going to offer it again? If you are approx. when.
Rod

ARM

Elite Cafe Member
Am acquiring my compatible equipment to commence soon.
The world is our playground.
Never dreamt this would be ever possible.
Lessons from USA to South Africa and that too, live.
This is History in the making and I am honoured to be a minute part of it.
Way to go, SIR CHRIS.
All the best.
aRM

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been talking with Chris getting the particulars & I believe this is going to be one of the coolest things to ever come along! (IMHO)

Definitely stay tuned for more info!!

Weldon

Latest posts

Sponsors