Help, please: Can someone please help me understand inside ring engraving???

BES

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Marcus!

Hi Marcus!

Marcus, You have not attentively looked my drawing!
Many jewellers and engravers already have
BenchMate For Jewelers from company GRS Tools.
I have suggested to turn on a lathe of 2 details
One of the metal, the second of plastic!
And to use with the available equipment!

Look drawing

222.jpg

The tool on which you have given the reference has the awful
To ergonomics, it is inconvenient and has the huge sizes!

I offer the second variant!
Look drawing more low!

333.jpg

Eric S. Brezhitsky

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
I have engraved a great quantity of wedding bands inside, most of them on short notice while the owner or the jeweler was waiting for the job, looking over my shoulder to figure if there is a way to speed up the process... Anyway, inside ring engraving is the best example of the no pain - no gain theory.
The only way I found practical is the 3F method, using three fingers: thomb and middle finger as a wise, and the index finger on the top securing the ring and pressing downward on top of a champaigne cork that is tightened in the immobilized engraver's block. All holding devices I tried proved to be useless (including the GRS ring holder that I have received as a gift from my dear friend Gary Richards because he could not use it either).
I am using onglettes for cutting, for the width of the tool can limit the ability to move with it within the limited space.
The success with script inscriptions is the right proportion between upper case and lower case letters, and the use of a proper slant to gain the most effectivity with the incision.
This is something that I could write pages about, but a live demonstration could give a better guidance then reading a book on the theory...

Sorry, I failed to name one important aspect to the above: use handpush tools only.

Greetings - Ivan

Last edited:

mgdesigns

Please post a video (or slide show) to the tutorials. See my related post in the threads of this forum. I am seeking advise also. Thank you.

mgdesigns

I made a wooden device like I have seen above by Mitch (thanks BTW), and it is wonderful. I made it from some scraps of rock hard maple from a guitar I am building. I also cut a 4.5 mm long tube of copper (1/2") to practice, and darned if right after I had taken back the 3/4" diameter copper tubng nipple if the first job is for a size 10 gents ring. I have practiced for another 2 hours and I will make a few more practice rings before committing to the final piece. I'll try to post a few photos of my work if it turns out worthy of the efforts. I like criticism, but I don't like to be shamed.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ivan you should get in contact with Chris DeCamillis, he may be interested in putting up a inside ring engraving class online.

mgdesigns

Well, I just spent another 4 hours making 4 copper practice rings, and I am starting the get the hang of it. I am doing a sort of simplified monotype corsiva font, and all of the horizontals are mostly done with the flat graver from the opposite (top) side. I have found that if I take a wide black Sharpie pen and coat the inside, then scribe my guides they are easier to see, and also the guides for the lettering with a tungsten carbide scribe are easier to see. I tried strictly by hand but the last sample I did with my Monarch and a very fine 90 degree graver with a Lindsay Point. I got a very bright cut, but one more practice after school tonight and I should be ready for the real ring.

mgdesigns

I did the Platinum ring yesterday AM and delivered to the Customer and they were thrilled. It looked pretty good, and I HAVE BLISTERS ON MY FINGER!! Index finger of left hand was numb for 3 days from holding the practice tubes down while engraving. The photos subitted by Mitch (way up on this thread) were very helpful. I will post pics of the practice rings and the graver I fashioned, and the wooden holder so others can benefit from my experience (or lack thereof). I love these forums and the Internet (and Sam Alfano) have been the best teachers I could ever wish for. Thanks.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm glad to hear that worked for you! Engraving inside rings is definitely one of those processes that are necessarily a huge compromise. I suppose for a really deluxe job, one could re-fixture with pitch/Jett-Sett every 10 degrees or so of rotation, but how many people want a deluxe engraving job where nobody ever sees it?

And yeah, my method is a little tough on the fingers... ;-)

mgdesigns

I'm glad to hear that worked for you! Engraving inside rings is definitely one of those processes that are necessarily a huge compromise. I suppose for a really deluxe job, one could re-fixture with pitch/Jett-Sett every 10 degrees or so of rotation, but how many people want a deluxe engraving job where nobody ever sees it?

And yeah, my method is a little tough on the fingers... ;-)

My finger is finally starting to re-gain its feeling. I have to learn how to hold down without pushing down so hard. I'll need to wear finger bandages so I don't cut off circulation as I press downward. I never stabbed myself though on this project.

BTW: The wooden fixture has another advantage I discovered. I carefully place the ring perpendicular to the arch, and with it resting againt the upper inside diameter,I was able to cut each of the horizontal bottoms of arched letters. I will have to photograph and post. I will get in the shop tomorrow and cut another sample tube and post sequential shots.

Thanks again for the guidance. It is very much appreciated.

Latest posts

Sponsors