Warning X Re: Talc as blasting media

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Please be careful about using talc in any bead blasting set-up. Even with a dust collection system the tiny particles will do the same kind of damage to your lungs as asbestos! Not good. I do not have an MSDS link available to post right now, but it is readily available on the net.

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
Gail, I think what you are talking about is the silic (I think I spelled that wrong). What it will do is scar your lungs. But with the proper equipment you'll be fine. If you do any type of media blasting you will be exposed to this. You have to take precautions with this kind of stuff, just don't be foolish you only have one of what God gave you.

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
It is the Magnesium that is the troublemaker. It can do to you the same as Metal fume fever. I am not trying to be a safety freak (I work with horses ;.) ! ). Just don't be careless about breathing this stuff just because it does not smell too bad.

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
Gail, Heavy metal fever does give you one hell of a head ache. But with a welding reprator which covers particals and fumes you'll be ok. Better to be safe than sorry. I can't remember which 3M model I use if I think of it later I'll post it, you should be able to find it in any good welding supply store.

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
How much talc are you using in your bead blasting setup? the warning in the beginning post does not read right to me,maybe i am missing something.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Xxxxxxx

Ya'll Need To Be Very Carefull When Ya'll Make Dust From Anything And Suck It In With Out Protection!!!!!!!
We In The Jewelry Business Are Breathing Trash Everday From The Chems In Our SoIdlder And Polishing Compounds... All Polishing Should Be Process Throught A Vac Sys And Filtered Or Expelled Outside...
This Is Very Serious If You Are Younger Than Me...(63)
There's Info From Alot Of Internet Sites...
Be Careful They Can,t Scrape Your Lungs...
See,
Jerry

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Hello all, I'm not taking the safety issue lightly but if you take resonable measures you should be alright. There is always folks extra suseptible to certain foods, vapors, etc. but most past muster easily.
Jerry is a fine example of this after working in the trade and most of it with probably NO PROTECTION in the early days at least.
be safe but don't lose any sleep over it.
my $.02
Kent

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
no one ever brings up the really fun part where the fine powder hits an open flame
instant flour cannon
but then i date myself
be careful turn off the torches
ps thats why blaster cabinets come with tube lights

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Talc used to be made of asbestos-not sure when it stopped being used (think I learned that from Thomas Noguchi, 'coroner to the stars')

Percertvidio;
Talc is a mineral unto it's self, it Does Not Contain Asbestos. I have mined talc, and if there is any asbestos with in 5 miles of a deposit, you do not even bother trying to mine it.

Here is a link to a MSDS Sheet:
http://www.yourriogrande.com/downloads/applications/DocumentLibraryManager/upload/701098.pdf

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
On this same line of inhaling stuff. I just ordered an Ultra 850 and wondered what everyone does to avoid inhaling the fine dust it will produce. I also don't want it to accumulate on the scope. I was thinking of having the shop vac suck up the dust while using it. Thanks

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Robert,
A few years ago I had Greenhouses and had to spray with liquids that you don't want in your lungs...
There should be suppliers in your area for plant growers or look on the www. there 's alot of products that will protect you...
Also check with your local auto repair and the painters have special mask...
Good Luck and don't suck in strange things...
JL Seymour

I just found this thread.

What brought on the discussion of using talc as a blasting media? I can't find it in any other thread.

I am just interested in the topic...

Aloha,
reb

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
I think you will find many peoples earch for the finest abrasives they can get for the work they are doing
I use baking soda at about 90lbs and it does a nice gentle job on softer metals. Consider coins. Where the details are so small. One fell swoop with a micro blaster and a grit with powerful cutting capabilities and you have erased a days work in a matter of seconds.

It's also a matter of expense. If you can pull a pond of product that works for a buck rather than paying the high price for traditional materials then why not try it. Of course you need to read the labels or ask one of the many folks with backgrounds in working with these materials as labels dont tell all and many products used in their normal methadology are harmless. It's only when engravers get their hands on them that they turn lethal!