Pendant and leaf script "B"

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Demonstrations from the JCK Show in Las Vegas this month.

~Sam

Attachments

• IMG_5486-sm.jpg
    IMG_5486-sm.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_5484-sm.jpg
    IMG_5484-sm.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 332

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice Sam both of them.
I understand leaf letters ain't scrolls, is that why the directions of the leafs may face to each other? Perhaps these leaf directions don't matter when drawing a leaf letter.

arnaud

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
GREAT cutting as always Sam.

A thought comes to mind regarding the "script B". I was wondering if there are any guidlines regarding proportions or is it an individual preference?

To me, the "B" would be more easily recognized, if the decorational leaves were smaller than those forming the "loops" of the letter. (if that makes any sense:big grin:)

Sam

Staff member
Thanks, Peter. I think it's up to individual preference. To my eye the B is easily recognizable, but it might be because I've done so many of them.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks, Peter. I think it's up to individual preference. To my eye the B is easily recognizable, but it might be because I've done so many of them.

No doubt you have a MUCH more discering eye than I. :big grin:

I have had a monogrammed cigarette case for YEARS and can't determine what the letters are!

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
excellent Sam!!

It looks like two colors of metal on the pendant. Is the design in the center an inlay?

Ron S

Two Claws

Superb Sam! Thank for sharing them with us. With what do you darken your cuts? I notice you use a dark fill quite a bit for contrast.....it certainly makes your cutting show up easily and in great detail for your photographs.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Sam thanks for another fine example of great scrollwork and cutting. I am trying to cut some of your earlier examples on some GRS pendants that are brass and SS. I am trying to replicated one of your leaf boarders, not very well I might add but still trying. I am amazed at how fine your shading is and the control you have of the graver. Thanks for sharing your work. When I complete one of mine I will share it for review. Thanks again.

Sam

Staff member
Superb Sam! Thank for sharing them with us. With what do you darken your cuts? I notice you use a dark fill quite a bit for contrast.....it certainly makes your cutting show up easily and in great detail for your photographs.

Thanks Scott, John B, Bama.

I use Rust-Oleum flat black paint to darken my engravings.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
It shows potential. Keep at it and maybe someday, before you get old and bald, you can earn a living doing this.

:banana:

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful work as always Sam!
That border is really flowing down the pendant... I liked it very, very much! :)
Best regards,
Leonardo.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sam : i was going to give you a few pointers , but luckily the doorbell rang !

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful lettering Sam. I'm with John B all this sitting at a table at a show. Of course it was at a jewelry show and jewelers are much more reserved than engravers and knife makers. Love the scroll also it has a little different twist to it.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Sam. I especially like the pendant.
So much so that I'm going to try to copy it; practice purposes only!
It'll help improve my cutting.
Kevin P.

Latest posts

Sponsors