Toe & Heel

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's the two together.

Phil

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil, Fabulous. I was just reading a thread on computer aided die cutting. Hand vs software kind of thing. What a difference you illustrate. Your work is inspirational at the least- Thanks for sharing Fred

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil,

Another home run (or the equivalant in cricket)!

If the rest of the gun is as stunningly ornate it will be something to rival the best from LePage or Boutet.

Thanks,

Roger

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pulled back to more of a normal viewing distance than the other photos this really shows the effect of that tediously lined background.

While the lines in the background a much less noticable (and probably near invisible in real life), the effect they have just about drops that background right through the plates.

Looking forward to seeing the complete gun photos when they're ready (after the extremely happy client gets to see his gun first, of course)

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm just finishing off the last piece, so all the cutting and inlay is done, now I have to go over all the carving on everything (except the toe and heel pieces), as it's only roughly formed. This takes a lot of time, but when that's done.......I only have to clean up the gold between the scrolls and line shade....and there's a lot of it.

This gun is an O/U so it's a big action and it also has the Boss style forend which is not a small item.

The gun then will go for hardening, then all I have to do is polish the steel scrolls and finish off the raised gold which there is quite a lot of and includes about eight ducks........and i've just remembered......I have to engrave the barrels :eek:

Phil

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for posting your images Phil.
These are pin-ups for my studio as something to aspire to and to remind me of what quality looks like.
Kevin P.

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Phil, if those are not the fanciest screw heads I ever saw. Wow to the gunsmith who bugers them up with the wrong turn screw.

Thanks for letting us see.

Ed