Critique Request First try at inlay

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
This is my first try, the small section on the right was done first with silver and I think it turned out OK? then I thought about some twisted inlay Ray Cover had at the engraving and I got the bright idea to try it, :beat up: well it may be better next time but I think I'll stick to single wire for now.:big grin: This was the side of a 2" X 2" X 3/16" practice plate Ray gave me so I tried it down one of the sides. It's hard with the twisted wire to get the gaps filled in.

All critique is welcome,:tiphat:
Kevin

Attachments

• DSC02407small.jpg
    DSC02407small.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC02412small.jpg
    DSC02412small.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 195

CJ Tate

Elite Cafe Member
Kevin - inlay looks good to me. And i like the twisted wire a lot, even though it is not exactly 'even'. Definitely something to use in the future on your work.

Now that you have the experience of doing it... it looks like silver and copper wire. Is it fine silver? and.. Did you anneal twisted wire before inlaying?

Candy

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know much about inlay, I think on very important thing is that the inlay may not fall out.:big grin:
One of there days I will have to give that a try also, just wondering how one can be sure the inlay will hold?

arnaud

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kevin, You did well with finishing the inlay. Cant comment on your undercut of course. The only way to know is to try to prise it out. As for the twisted wire, The main issue I see is the consistency of the twist. It is very important that the twists be even in the first place. Try putting one end of both wires in a vise, grasp the other end with pliers and begin twisting very even pressure. It will be easier to get constant twist if they are tight. If the twists are not tight they are difficult to get even. be careful that they do not loosen during the annealing process which can happen-very good start to twisted wire inlay-Fred

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud, I used a flat flat to make a undercut like in this picture, seems to work good, all holding for now.:thumbs up:

Kevin

I don't know much about inlay, I think on very important thing is that the inlay may not fall out.:big grin:
One of there days I will have to give that a try also, just wondering how one can be sure the inlay will hold?

arnaud

Attachments

• GoldInlay.jpg
    GoldInlay.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 42

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Arnaud and Fred.
An easy way to check if your inlay is in to stay is to cover it with really sticky shipping tape. Burnish the tape down.
Peel the tape off and if the inlay is not well done you will pull it out with the tape.
Best.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The best way I know to get a really nice, even twist is to put one end in a vise and put the other end in a drill (generally a hand-crank one). Keep a little tension on the pair and you'll get a really clean twist.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The best way I know to get a really nice, even twist is to put one end in a vise and put the other end in a drill
Steve,
You must be only twisting a single wire. Mine always have two ends on each end.:tiphat:
I chuck a small eyebolt in my drill and wrap the ends around the eye.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not too shabby for your first. i'm guessing you didn't have the wire soft enough at the start. or maybe your punch work was not too consistent to get those little crannies filled. remember too, each wire has a different hardness to start with, and each will work harden at a slightly different rate. so i'm thinking that your initial punch work should have been rather heavier than lighter to get the metals in with as few strokes as possible.

Sponsors