+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First try at inlay

This is my first try, the small section on the right was done first with silver and I think it turned out OK? then I thought about some twisted inlay Ray Cover had at the engraving and I got the bright idea to try it, :beat up: well it may be better next time but I think I'll stick to single wire for now.:big grin: This was the side of a 2" X 2" X 3/16" practice plate Ray gave me so I tried it down one of the sides. It's hard with the twisted wire to get the gaps filled in.

All critique is welcome,
    Kevin
    Attached Images
    Native American Crafts by me and other members of my Tribe
    http://www.leroytwohawks.co.cc/

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin,

Twisted wires looks tough - nice job though!! Nice photos, too.
    Mike Dirle

Help me progress to Master Engraver:
    http://2yearstomaster.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin - inlay looks good to me. And i like the twisted wire a lot, even though it is not exactly 'even'. Definitely something to use in the future on your work.

Now that you have the experience of doing it... it looks like silver and copper wire. Is it fine silver? and.. Did you anneal twisted wire before inlaying?

Candy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the confidence, Candy and yes I anneal the twisted wire before inlaying but probably not enough, and your right it is silver and copper.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Tate View Post

Now that you have the experience of doing it... it looks like silver and copper wire. Is it fine silver? and.. Did you anneal twisted wire before inlaying?

Candy

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know much about inlay, I think on very important thing is that the inlay may not fall out.:big grin:
    One of there days I will have to give that a try also, just wondering how one can be sure the inlay will hold?

arnaud

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin, You did well with finishing the inlay. Cant comment on your undercut of course. The only way to know is to try to prise it out. As for the twisted wire, The main issue I see is the consistency of the twist. It is very important that the twists be even in the first place. Try putting one end of both wires in a vise, grasp the other end with pliers and begin twisting very even pressure. It will be easier to get constant twist if they are tight. If the twists are not tight they are difficult to get even. be careful that they do not loosen during the annealing process which can happen-very good start to twisted wire inlay-Fred
    Want to learn to engrave, "cut an inch a Day every Day" Jim Small
    Fred Marrinan

Post Thanks / Like

Arnaud, I used a flat flat to make a undercut like in this picture, seems to work good, all holding for now.:thumbs up:

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Arnaud Van Tilburgh View Post
    I don't know much about inlay, I think on very important thing is that the inlay may not fall out.:big grin:
    One of there days I will have to give that a try also, just wondering how one can be sure the inlay will hold?

arnaud
    Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Arnaud and Fred.
    An easy way to check if your inlay is in to stay is to cover it with really sticky shipping tape. Burnish the tape down.
    Peel the tape off and if the inlay is not well done you will pull it out with the tape.
    Best.
    John B.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The best way I know to get a really nice, even twist is to put one end in a vise and put the other end in a drill (generally a hand-crank one). Keep a little tension on the pair and you'll get a really clean twist.
    Enjoy!

Steve :->

Post Thanks / Like

The best way I know to get a really nice, even twist is to put one end in a vise and put the other end in a drill
    Steve,
    You must be only twisting a single wire. Mine always have two ends on each end.
    I chuck a small eyebolt in my drill and wrap the ends around the eye.