Critique Request my engraving

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Raul,
You've come a long way since I met you at the Ngraver booth at the Houston NRA show.
You might try to get a little better and consistant flow to your cuts where your leaf/bud elements flow back into the backbone stem.
Things are looking fine, just a little more study of Ron Smith's or Sam's scroll designs and a lot more cutting and everything will fall into place.
Best regards.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Raul, looks good to me, i agree with John of course, who am I not to agree with his comments. :big grin:
And sure this is not a photo forum, and I think I see you also spent some time making the picture looking good,
But if I may say so and I understand the size of a photo can sometimes hide some minimal errors and perhaps that is why you did not show the engraving itself blown up. Making a good sharp photo if you want some good advice will help I think.
Sure that is like looking at a womans face with a Microscope :big grin:, but for some good comments taking a clear photo of the engraving itself can help a lot to show you where you can do better and how.
Never the less, thanks for showing and I think you have reasons enough to be proud with the result.

arnaud

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Raul,
please take a look at the picture below - it isn't a natural flow, it's an impossible flow.
Regards, Mario.

Attachments

• raulhinz.jpg
    raulhinz.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 137

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
:thumbs up:

I just learnt that but the design is upside down to what i drew :big grin:

So reversing the starter scroll is all it needs.

Thanks for taking the time to re-draw your explanation, very helpful :tiphat:

Looks a nice Knife Raul regardless.

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Chris, one can take the other starting point, but then all the leaves on the starting scroll have to be reversed.
Mario is right !

arnaud

Raul Hinz

Thank Mario the pint of origination is the direction of the flow I see were my flow is not natural
thank you all for taking the time so I can be a better artist

Thank

Raul Hinz

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I compared this with some Lynton Mckenzie scrolls and now I see what you mean. The scroll to the left should be an "S" scroll when it comes off of a "C" scroll like that.

But, it looked good at first glance. :thumbs up:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I compared this with some Lynton Mckenzie scrolls and now I see what you mean. The scroll to the left should be an "S" scroll when it comes off of a "C" scroll like that.

But, it looked good at first glance. :thumbs up:

The way i understand is..as it is, if the big start scroll was rotated so that the big end attatched to that "error" it would be ok.
Maybe a few outside bits might need changing but i`ve not looked into that.

Two Claws

Hi Raul....Looked very good to me (still does) but only because I'm just a beginner, I suppose. Mario's point is correct, of course! But Arnaud's point is interesting to me as well....in that he points out the anatomy (direction) of a scroll is wholly dependent upon it's origin. Usually (evidently) the origin is considered to be the smaller 'end' of a C scroll. Arnaud's hypothetical assuming the larger end's terminal point as the origin, botanically, could only be considered realistic if you were viewing a plant stem from above as it spiraled up and then branched in two...hehehe....convoluted, I know...but it does make sense that way...and right Arnaud...the leaf direction would have to be reversed.

Yes Chris, one can take the other starting point, but then all the leaves on the starting scroll have to be reversed.
Mario is right !

arnaud

I'm learning....slowly....but it has to make sense in my head for me to 'get it'....so thanks to all who instruct us! Good illustration, Mario. I get it!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors