OT need help from Black Powder guys

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am looking for a replacement stock that will fit my TC Hawkin 50 cal. barrel and hardware.

My daughter has been shooting my Hawkin but the stock is too long for her. I don't want to cut my original stock so I would like to find another stock that I can cut off to fit her. Any stock that will fit my TC barrel, lock and trigger hardware would be fine. A TC Renegade stock would be great!:banana:

Do any of you black powder guys know where I might be able to pick up a stock that would work?

Thanks,

Ray

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Any stock that will fit my TC barrel, lock and trigger hardware would be fine. A TC Renegade stock would be great
Ray,
Just a couple of things for you to consider. At various times, Hawkens and Renegades came with different width barrel channels, depending on caliber. If you are wanting a drop-in conversion, you should measure your barrel across the flats to see how wide it is. They came in 7/8", 15/16" and 1".

For shortening, a Renegade stock will fit your application best because they are fitted with a flat buttplate and no patchbox. You can just cut the stock off flat, refit the buttplate, and file off the excess. Job done. With the Hawken you have a curved buttplate with an extension on the top. This requires additional inletting and depending on how much you have to remove, you may end up hitting the patchbox in the process. Also, since the Renegade has no nosecap, you can just cut it back, if necessary, if the under-rib on your Hawken barrel is longer.

I have a used .54 cal. Renegade in inventory that is complete, except it has no rear sights on it, but they are commonly available. The barrel is 1" across the flats. I can sell you the whole gun for what that one on ebay will eventually sell for. PM me if interested.

Also, Pecatonica (and others) sells TC replacement stocks, but you would essentially end up having to build the gun using your parts. Even though they say 99% inletted, you still have to hand fit all the parts, remove excess wood, whisker, and apply your own finish. Figure 20-30 hours to finish a pre-inlet replacement stock.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Also, Pecatonica (and others) sells TC replacement stocks, but you would essentially end up having to build the gun using your parts. Even though they say 99% inletted, you still have to hand fit all the parts, remove excess wood, whisker, and apply your own finish. Figure 20-30 hours to finish a pre-inlet replacement stock.

But, that's the fun part! :yes

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Did some more checking......A renegade has an inch shorter LOP than a Hawken. 13" from rear trigger to buttplate. If you get a renegade stock, you might not have to cut it down.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys for the leads. I got the problem solved. I looked at what stocks were selling for then I found a whole TC Renegade for about $75 more than the stock alone was so I just bought the kid a whole gun for less than $200.

Now I won't have to touch my gun :thumb[1]:

Again thanks for the help and suggestions.

Ray

Latest posts

Sponsors