Seal Ring Pictures

Steece

The following are pictures of my latest seal ring carving. The customer wanted the ring to be engraved in positive not negitive that is why the letters on the wax impression a backwards. I welcome any suggestions on how I can do a better job.

I used faux wax despensed with a low temperature hot glue gun for the seal. The seal could have been better but I decided this was the best one after a dozen trys. It takes a bit of practice to get a good seal. If anyone has some tips on getting a better wax impression I would appreciate you sharing your experience. I have read that cooling the ring with ice before stamping is good but I had no success with that. I have seen some wax impressions that must have something applied to the ring to give the seal a two tone effect. I would like to know how that was done.

I want to thank Sam personally for his help and encouragement in my effort to develope and improve my ability to carve seal rings. As always he has been very giving of his time and knowledge to make me a better hand engraver while asking nothing in return but my success.

Attachments

• DSCN2335.JPG Brundage Cafe 2.jpg
    DSCN2335.JPG Brundage Cafe 2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN2345.JPG Brundage wax seal cafe 4.jpg
    DSCN2345.JPG Brundage wax seal cafe 4.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 121

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Thaat's some nice, deep cutting! Hard to get the little letters down in that cavity? I bet. You're really mold making or die sinking when you take engraving to this depth.

How about different waxes? Try sealing wax, just because what you're using may not be suitable for the detail in the ring. Dust the ring with talcum first? You may be entrapping air.

Great work, and good luck!

Tom

Latest posts

Sponsors