I can't let this go unnoticed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
At the moment it's reminding me a bit of the Irish firing squad where they form a circle with their guns pointed inward. :)

Cheers
Andrew

:yes Thanks Andrew, That made me laugh for the 1st time today.
I have spent all day painting on "asphaltum" to mask the blued finish to put on a selective gun metal gray finish.
Took a brake and read the above thread, your response is right on.
I would say more but I have to get back to work.

I work full time for a living, I would work part time but can not make a living that way. :)

Cheers from this side of the world.
Mark
:beerchug:

BES

Elite Cafe Member
I could not ignore this post!

All great greetings!

I now very busy on its substantive work!
But at the same time, I regularly watch developments on the forum!

I set myself the goal - to earn money the equipment for engraving.
By my conservative estimate result was a total of about $ 20,000
For residents of Russia is good money!

But for all the employment I could not ignore this post!

Something similar has already been in one of the posts
but I tried to learn the following:
1. Who of masters able to teach me.
2. For a minimum period they can do it!

There have been heated debates on 15 pages a result we have reached the following conclusion
1. Need a live (permanent) contact the student and teacher in the process learning.
2. Real (but minimal) 4-year training.

Since I live on the other side globe I had no knowledge of English, and I have a very bad character.
The conclusion was one and sounded as a jury verdict - NOBODY!

COUNCIL — look and learn! This I am doing!

Mike, you know that I treat you with sympathy and respect! I saw all your recent work.

This is definite progress!

But you must understand the higher your level of work the higher the level of criticism!

I can say that all criticism was constructive!

Scott Pilkington promised to help you, and he is at his enormous employment found time to comment on your work!
Marcus Hunt, Sam Alfano, Andrew Biggs, Arnaud Van Tilburgh, They drew attention to your work.

Many of the comments contained technical drawings, as amended! This criticism is objective and not worth resent it!

Go ahead, do not throw the case! Do you succeed!

Good luck in all your affairs!
Eric S. Brezhitsky

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Given that Andrew has asked for thoughtful responses, I have been thinking about this for some days now whether to respond or not. I am not sure who Mike Dirhle’s original post was aimed at, perhaps Marcus, John B, Marty, J.C myself or others, but I have not seen any responses that were negative or for the “worst”. I think he owes someone or several someones an apology.

As to Dkanger’s assertions, welllllll, I am not what he describes at all. I learned to engrave at an early age, and reached what FEGA now calls Master status at the age of 25. I worked full time as a professional engraver, and at a later age had a career change into the field of Olympic airgun shooting. I am now 47, I have taught hour long seminars at major knife shows, weekend seminars, and week long classes both at my home and in formal class settings. I taught classes with hammer and chisel before I switched to air assist. I was senior instructor at GRS for 14 years, even though I was the youngest one. I experimented a lot in classes with various teaching techniques to try and figure out what made engraving click into the students brain as quickly as possible. Out of an estimated 400 students, probably less than ten were not adult learners. I have received a number of compliments over the years from teaching professionals who took my class for my ability to respond to different students needs. Along the way I have studied with engravers on six continents in my world travels. I have also created seminars and Power Points for Olylmpic shooting training sessions and likewise have received many good compliments. All that and in my critiques I seem to be hitting the same notes that the older masters have been saying. When we were getting nowhere advising Mr.. Dirhle over and over again I pointed out very bluntly that if he heeded the advice he had been constantly given, he should be able to self diagnose his problems. Ultimately, I think he has gotten the point, but now with his comments in this thread, I have to question whether its worth my time to continue to try to help him. (he says as he is sitting and listening to pre-Engrave-In crowd discoursing in front of him ... There are about 10 folks here already including Cloudy who is just as delightful in person. )

Last edited:

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
plikguns last post

Scott, I don't think you our the other experienced engravers that have tried to help Mike have any thing or reason to apologize for. You and the others have gone out of your way to help and your feelings and frustrations are understandable and legitimate. Please don't stop or change the posts about how you feel or about what you see. I have learned alot from your posts and from the others who made similar posts.
You and others have given good lessons about how to learn. That can be far more important than trying to tell someone how to do something. I fully understand your frustration but Please don't let this thread or other threads discourage you from posting what you feel is right or how you feel because it it helping me and many others who are not involved in the threads and are just sitting on the sidelines reading, listening and thinking and learning. It is understandable that you and the others think they are wasting their time but you are not even if you are not getting through to Mike. But you are definitely not, although you are not getting a good return on your time and knowledge. But me and I am sure many others who have not posted on this have learned alot from you. Thank you to Scott and all the others that have tried to help Mike because they have helped me and I am sure many others. Kevin Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Sponsors