Starting to carve hobo nickels

Malcolm

I carve wood and want to try creating some hobo nickels. What tools do I need, and can I make any of them myself? I have a Dremel flexishaft with wood cutters, can I use this tool on nickels with other cutters?
Many thanks for any help given.

Degs

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Malcolm
I'm new to the nickel carving, but I have the engraving tools. I think a good website to look at and see what's involved, would be Steve Adams, hope he doesn't mind me plugging his site. You'll see a master sculptor at work. Have a look around his site, there's tons of info. www.sga-sculpture-engraving.com.

Degs

Malcolm

Thanks Degs
Where is the best place to buy tools in the UK?....... and what are the first tools I should buy to make a start?

Malcolm

Malcolm

Thanks Degs
That site is amazing..... Where in the UK is best place to buy tools and gravers?... and these Barraclough gravers that I have seen mentioned, where can I find out how to make them?.... I'd like to try my hand at woodcuts too, and I'm wondering if the same tools are used for both.

Malcolm

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Malcolm and welcom to the cafe!

If you look in the "Tips From Cafe Members" section off the main page there are 3 posts that may interest you. The first is entitled "A clever tool tip from Barrachough" which details how Mr. B makes his gravers. The second is "John Barrachough's very clever gravers" which gives a picture of the tools so you can get an idea of what they look like. The third is "UK/EU supplies for John Barraclough gravers" which will give you places on your side of the pond to get the supplies.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress. :)

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Malcolm, a Dremel is useless. The only thing its any good for is cutting blank gravers in half. You can buy gravers from Suttons in Birmingham but if you want to go the GraverMax/Mach route email me first and I'll give you some advice.

Malcolm

Thanks Marcus. I've had a look at the Sutton site, but I don't see many pictures of gravers, so maybe I'll have to take a visit there one Saturday. I'd like to start with hand tools and then maybe graduate to power later, as I'm sure the power route will be costly >S<... are there any books around that show how to engrave from start to finish, 'cos next to a teacher that's what I need I think...... I've not been able to find any pictures that show the cutting end of a graver either, to give me a clue as to what I'm aiming at.. I'll search some more.
Thanks
Malcolm