Gold ring

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Hello folks
Here's my first attempt at engraving a ring, not used to the size. A great challenge but not the biggest challenge for this client, I hope to show another piece totally different in size shape and complexity when it's completed. I made the band out of 18k and is 9.5mm x 2mm.
Couldn't see the dirt (please excuse) when I got this shot and had one heck of a time trying to get a decent photo.
Any comments and critique is welcomed.
A question for the jewelers or anyone for that matter, is it typical to blacken the cuts on a ring as this? It would be easier to photo I believe.
Thanks for looking.
Mark

Attachments

• DSC03025.jpg
    DSC03025.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 256

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark, looks good to me.
To answer your question about using ink or paint, I don't use that.
I know Sam uses Rustoleum to make a good photo, but of course it come off when it is put in thinner.

arnaud

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mark, Try some ink, then wash it ammonia after the photo is taken. Nice engraving J.J.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud,
Thank you, I didn't think that aging this one would be the correct thing to do.
JJ Thanks for the tip, I never think of using ammonia for clean up. I do use it to age brass, does a great job depending on the color desired.
Mark

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Mike
I'm glad I didn't antique the finish. I delivered the ring to my friend's wife and now the agony of waiting a week. She gave the smile and words of approval now the test will be the wearer.
Mark

Two Claws

Hi Mark,
Nice job...I like the substantial weight of the ring. While I wouldn't personally choose to blacken this ring....if I did want to I'd heat oxidize it, then highlight it by hand using a soft cotton cloth like an old t-shirt (or a soft chamois) onto which I'd rubbed a bit of tripoli. To heat oxidize just clean it very well and heat to red heat without any cover flux till it blackens uniformly. I'd practice on a bit of similar alloy first.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Christiaan,
Yes my friend it has been a while .........what no powder horns to barter.?lol I understand you may be seeing a mutual friend. Please share with me the stories as they arise. Fare well !
Two Claws, Thank you I've not known of that trick, greatly appreciate it. The ring is now waiting to be gifted and I'm feverishly working to complete another piece of the anniversary puzzle. I'll share this piece once it is on it's way to finish the festivity, neither spouse knows I'm doing both gifts again. Another week of secrecy prevails. I did not oxidize the ring by the way.
Mark

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Two Claws, that is a good trick, I use it from time to time when needed.
On silver I heat red, put it in the safe pickles, then lay it in chlorine, the one is used to disinfect the kitchen sink or whatever. Then don't put it in the pickles again, just polishing the upper surface.

arnaud

Two Claws

Arnaud...Safe pickle? I'm sorry...I don't understand...Do you mean a non-acidic pickle like Sparex No. 2? That is what I use. But I understand that there is a citric acid pickle that is supposed to be more environmentally friendly. I have never tried it, though.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud...Safe pickle? I'm sorry...I don't understand...Do you mean a non-acidic pickle like Sparex No. 2? That is what I use. But I understand that there is a citric acid pickle that is supposed to be more environmentally friendly. I have never tried it, though.

Yes Scott, it is an acid that dos not burn hole in your clothes, that is why it is called safe.
Here we call it "Vitrex" sometimes it is hard for me to find the right English word for techniques and products.
The same with engraving terms, I now know already some, but only in English, can't even find a word that match in Dutch. :big grin:

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors