New purchase

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roland,

Thanks for the further explanation of the tools used on the plate and the picture of the gun. I have seen a picture of it before but didn't know who did it. I guess some people don't care who did a piece, only how it is done, but I feel that knowing who the engraver was is the difference between hand engraving and mass produced decoration.

Regarding the molette, I understand that is a serrated roller. I believe that tool is called a roulette by English speaking print engravers. I find this odd because roulette is a French word.:rolleyes:

Since a double strike with a punch was mentioned I will mention a technique that I learned years ago to prevent the shadow strike from punch bounce. I use a punch with a miniature of my monogram to mark my work. Even with a dead blow hammer it will sometimes leave a double strike shadow. To prevent this I put a piece of paper masking tape down where I will strike the punch. The blow to the punch will cut though the tape but the tape will prevent the punch bounce from marking the steel and cause the shadow strike.

Roger

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since a double strike with a punch was mentioned I will mention a technique that I learned years ago to prevent the shadow strike from punch bounce. I use a punch with a miniature of my monogram to mark my work. Even with a dead blow hammer it will sometimes leave a double strike shadow. To prevent this I put a piece of paper masking tape down where I will strike the punch. The blow to the punch will cut though the tape but the tape will prevent the punch bounce from marking the steel and cause the shadow strike.

Roger, that's worth pulling out for the Tips archive (hint hint to Sam).

Thanks!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks, Roger. Great.
That is one I hadn't heard.
Sixty five years engraving and still learning
And KCSteve, I second your vote.
That belongs in the hall of Fame.
Best.