Microscopic Observations...

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi All-

After reading a current thread on microscopes (and many others) I thought I'd comment on the usage of microscopes in general, in principle, for engraving. This has probably been addressed before, but I'm not going to go back thru every post looking for it.

Much is made in these other threads about the importance of getting the highest quality scope you can afford, and many have praised the superior optics of Zeiss, Wild, Leitz, Leica, et. al. I know this will make me sound like a heretic, but beyond a certain reasonable point, optics are the least of an engraver's concerns. Yeah, yeah, yeah- you don't want some cloudy POS with sloppy focus that came with a kiddy chemistry set. On the other hand, from a purely practical standpoint you don't need the compact stereozoom version of a scanning electron microscope, either.

Years ago, before my eyes went thru 'the change' (ophthalmic menopause?) I was of the firm opinion that good, solid work could be done with an optivisor and that very few had cutting skills that were limited only by their ability to see the work better/bigger. This was back in the early-mid '80s when microscopes were becoming all the rage. At the time, I heard/saw a lot of mediocre engravers who thought it would magically transform the quality of their work. In a few cases there was a distinct improvement, but for most- not so you'd notice.

Since then my view, so to speak, has changed somewhat. I've come to appreciate the microscope's ability to make work easier, more relaxing- less stressful, even if I'm cutting something not particularly hyper-detailed. I also recognize that for some eyes- including my own more & more- the scope no longer makes the difference between good engraving & great, it makes the difference between possible & impossible, or at least more trouble/discomfort than I'd care to endure without it. And I'm not quite yet 50 (but dang close!).

Getting back to optic quality debate, ANY good, solid, name brand quality scope will work far better than virtually any engraver really requires for what we do. Our fearless leader/playground monitor uses a Meiji EMZ-5 (http://igraver.com/equipment.shtml). He used to have an Olympus SZ3, as did I, and Lynton McKenzie. I've had a Leica S6 & an S6E for about 10 yrs, and I love them (some might say they're crap and I don't care). AND I'll take a good scope with an excellent lighting set-up over an excellent scope with so-so lighting any day of the week.

Bottom line, if you can't think/dream/see it in your head, then draw it on paper fairly well, then cut it pretty well with bare eyes or an optivisor, then the least of your worries & limitations is optical. Having said that, a good scope can certainly help with the process, but don't expect it to be some magic bullet, unless your main problem really is your eyes.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mitch!
In most of pots i have read about microscopes there was a very good advice: "Get the best optics you can afford!"
I understand this in the way, that my eyes will say "Thank you, Mario". Zoom-factor, magnification and these things are less important than the quality of the optics.
If a man who used several microscopes over the last twenty? years say "Wow - this is simply the brightest and sharpest microscope I've ever used." than that makes me listen attentively.
After thinking about that i only can say, (my) health is priceless.
Regards, Mario.

Latest posts

Sponsors