1934 Ford

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with everyone else - looks great and rings of ZZ Top coming right out of a dream.

There's a very ethereal quality about it.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That IS VERY nice indeed. As others have said, it looks like it is coming out of fog. KOOL!

It is similar to the coupe ZZ Top had during the "Afterburner" tour. That stage and laser show was AWESOME!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Zippy,

I have been following all of your posts here and the pictures of your work. I have been hoping to see a close up picture that will show your cuts but the pictures don't show that kind of detail. For that reason each image you have shown looks (to me) as though the image was photo etched rather than engraved. This last one in particular has the appearance of photo etching.

I'm not trying to knock your work, I would just like to understand your methods that create these images. We are all about learning from each other here and your images have a unique look to them.

Also, do you ever engrave scrollwork or any form of ornamentation? I don't remember seeing anything like that.

Thanks,

Roger

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
I'm with Roger ... I'm inclined to believe this is a burnishing technique (more like a reverse mezzotint of sorts) rather than a dot or line technique as in Bulino.

In fact .... the more I think about it ..... that is exactly what is being done on a blued, steel surface.

We can all appreciate a nice picture, drawing or painting .... but this is an engraving forum and the "how-tos" along with the closeups are really what it's all about. If the method is as I stated, then I certainly hope others appreciate it as much as I do. It is in the realm of hand engraving and an important technique in the history of illustration.

Thanks for showing ....

Chris

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice Zippi, I also was wondering how this is done. It seems it is colored or is it Bulino.

arnaud

Last edited:

zippy

Thanks, this is the best compliment you could give, I try to show realism in my work weather its illustrating or engraving, this and all of my other engravings are done with cross hatching lines, on the setter on silver plate you can see were the lines are very soft and crossed so many times that it all fades together then a dig deaper to reach grey to black. I realy dont know what I am doing, the color that you see is rust wich is not what I want but I dont know how to blue practice plates properly. as far as scroll work ,I dont use scroll in still life or wildlife this is something I can do when it is needed, the fog is bad picture taking because there are finger prints everywere and if I wanted fog I would have cross hatched it in. One of these days it is all going to come together the browning superposed I am going to work on will be all in blue with bulino etching everywere, probably wont have to wory about rust, or finger prints. I will put a close up of the car on asap, oh I dont even know what photo etching is, sincerely zippy.

zippy

Chris what is burnishing, I use a knife graver the sharpest one grs makes, this is the only tool I use at any time, thanks, zippy.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hi Zippy,

A burnisher is a polished tool ... which can even be as small as dulled and polished sewing needle tip. It's used to smooth out areas. Used on a surface that has been lightly blasted with talc or evenly acid etched can produce some nice affects and even some beautiful images.

Looking forward to seeing some close-ups. You've got a technique here that is both fresh and interesting. With the knife gravers, I would say innovative too.

Chris

Latest posts

Sponsors