Blade Show Knife

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
A Joe Kious small Persian (3 inches closed). 24K selective inlay scroll, gold pearl inlay.

This was a challenging knife as it's my first interframe. Special thanks to Kirby Bletcher for helping me locate this knife for the show.

Hope you guys like it ... the scroll is intended to wind under the gold border at the back and then re-emerge at the front. Wish I had time to send this to Jim Cooper but I'll catch him at the show. Heck ... wish I had time to even sleep :)

Chris

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lookin AWESOME Chris. Hope to check those knives out in person. Only a couple weeks away....lots to do before then:eek:

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice Chris, yeah inlaying is just plain time consuming but the gold color speaks for itself.:thumbs up:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks fabulous Chris! Can we see some close-ups? Can I also ask a question as someone ignorant of knifemaking? What are the characteristics that make up an Interframe Style knife?

Mark

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is it just me, or does 10 hours on the microscope make you feel like you drank an entire gallon of that really cheap wine that comes in a box?

Hi Roger .... thank-you, you made my day. For some reason I thought I got you upset with one of my stupid posts.

Hi Doc, it's the method of inlaying the handle material into solid handle frames.

Hi Jeff, Seth & Rex & Titian .... thanks guys.

Kieth ... I have a feeling I'm gonna need it. I feel confident but exhaustion is getting the better of me these last 10 days.

Peter .... the assignment on the Blade Show sheet says ES-4 ..... wherever that is exactly on the floor plan. It's gonna be a good time.

I have one more knife to do as well a couple of Argentium bracelets with my scroll style on them.

That should cover all of the bases as far as variety and price ranges. Excluding the uber-expensive knives of course. I hope that this will be a good year for that show ... funny thing about shows in general - I usually do better when I take the money to a Blackjack table in Foxwoods instead.

I'll try to get a closer picture for you guys in a short bit here. This was difficult knife to photograph due to the curvature of the handle and the color of the pearl.

Chris

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lovely work Chris! :thumbs up:

The BLADE exhibitor list & floor plan are here

Clicking on the floor plan PDF I get the same view as on the copy in the latest issue - nothing labeled 'ES' but there's a set of 7 tables arranged in a box right at the back, pretty much lined up with rows L & M that's right where they had the Engravers at last year.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi John, thank-you and I hope you are right. I might be sneaking over to another table from time to time if the traffic is better than it is back by the loading dock.

Hi Sam, Mike .... thanks guys.

Steve, yep .... that's what I figured. "ES" = engraver's section or "extra-terrestrial seating". :)

Here's a closer photo .... granted this a small knife and almost everything had to be done at full microscope power. It shows the shading well and in particular, my conservative use of cross hatch shading. Everything was done with the 96 degree, parallel heel, detailing point with one exception. I used a 105 to shade the gold as it leaves a much smaller raised bur along the edges of the cut. I do sand back the work but only minimally.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors