Help, please: First scroll sketch

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Time has come to try a scroll design for my next tieclip.. only now i realise how difficult it is :shock:
I do not have any natural artistic talent for drawing & design so this is a real effort!

I`d like to get the basic structure fixed and then use it over time with different styles of leaf (if possible)?
Was thinking english "type" style first even if it is hard to cut well.

I spent a fair while on this :eek: , the bottom one is the first idea and the top a refined version.
Am i on the right track or is it a disaster? i think i`ve gone as far as i can without some guidance.

I do have Ron`s understanding scrolls book but i really need some help now before i go further.
Clip will be 50x6mm, my design is x2 in real life.

I really would appreciate some advice.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well....

Not terribly good myself but starting right there at the left you have bit of a problem. while it's true scrolls generally alternate direction you've got a defiite flow problem.

The scrolls should come off from each other smoothly. As Lee Griffiths put it "like a freeway ramp". I always say you shouldn't be able to tell which line is the main line.

The second scroll should start off going down rather than up. You have other transistions with the same problem.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Chris

The design you have won't work. To many problem areas when it comes to filling with leaves and the scrolls don't flow from one to the other

What I suggest you do is start simple.

Start with a plain ruinning border. That is one scroll followed by another growing out of it in a line. Get used to doing that before you take on anything more complicated.

I would also suggest that you (or any other beginner) buy the scroll templates from either GRS or NGraver. These are very handy things to have and much under ustilised as an aid to drawing scrolls.

They have scrolls in various sizes and can be used in two ways. The first is use them directly onto the drawing. The second way is to draw your scroll first.........and then use the template to check your scroll with and make any adjustments. This will allow you to see exactley where your scrolls are going wrong.

They are a great peice of kit and cheap. After a while you'll use them less and less as you become more proficeint at freehanding your own scrolls.

Cheers
Andrew

MichaelBaer

Hi Chris,looks like you used a ruler for your straight edge line.Get your self some of the afore mentioned templates and get your curves smoothed out and stop saying you have no talent.Just go slower. MichaelBaer

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Chris

Start with a plain ruinning border.

Cheers
Andrew

Was that ruinning a plain border? no problem :big grin:

Ok, did not suprise me that it won`t work but thats why i asked before wasting? time. Actually not wasted as i learnt from that :thumbs up:

See what i can do with a simpler design.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you should take a looseleaf notebook to every place you go with "down time". restaurants, dentist office, doctor visits, auto repair, just any ole place where you have dead time on your hands. make that time count, practice drawing scroll. you( we all) need to practice anyway. why not make use of this time ? make it work for you. keeping the drawings in one place, you can see progress in your work.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
That scroll kit looks great, just need to figure out a way to order one :big grin:

Don`t get me started on that one again.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Chris

Yes, it's a very handy peice of kit to have. I till use the ones that I have from time to time when I have "Sroll block" or occasionally laying out directly to a peice of metal or on a tricky area.

And no........I won't get you started again :)

Cheers
Andrew

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
One tool supplier i use in Sweden has started supplying some GRS stuff so i`ve asked them if they can order for me.
I also just bought 3 castings from the FEGA site, looking forward to seeing those and i`m sure that will be an immense help.

Thanks for your help :) i`ll work on a simple repeated design as you advised.

Andrew Biggs

Yes, the castings are a "must have" item. Photos and books will only give you a two demensional view of engraving. It's not till you see the real deal (or close to it) that you really start appreciating the fineness of the cuts and the depth and how small it all is.............these things alone more than justify the purchase.

Cheers
Andrew

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The N'Graver kit is available in a lot of places.

I know GRS carries it and I believe that Rio Grande does also. I'd search your suppliers for anything 'scroll' related.

Andrew - I hadn't thought of using the scroll templates to check my drawings. Thanks!

Latest posts

Sponsors