Ron Smith Scrolls

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
Hi guys, I've been getting a lot of mileage out of Ron's book "The Advanced Drawing of Scrolls". I'll read and look at the pictures then close the book and sketch away. I came up with this pair of scrolls (my drawing and then a cleaned up PhotoShop version for piercing) to mount on a set of spurs to be judged for a spur guild.

My first love of engraving was when I found this forum and saw all of the beautiful gun style scrolls, so even though I bright cut engrave a lot I always come back to these scrolls. Cutting them out and mounting them onto my work is my version of blending the gun engraving with Western spurs and buckles and it's a lot of fun. I do have to admit that switching between the two different geometries of the Western and English scrolls is tricky, by default I usually draw a western scroll and have to catch myself :) I'll post the finished spurs after I get them done down the road.

Thanks Ron for the great inspiration, motivation, and enjoyment of creation in your scroll work I get form your teachings :)
Paul

Attachments

• scroll.jpg
    scroll.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Paul, You could'nt have pick a better book then Ron Smith's on the study of scrolls,I recommend this book to anyone interested in the art of engraving. Keep us posted on your progress. J.J.R0berts

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Indeed it is a good book, but no one is mentioning his first smaller basic book, and to me that one make more scene as it is more basic especialy to start with.
The best book in my opinion and a must have is the art of engraving by James B. Meek. But again not a book to start with.
This one from Ron Smith I would consider to start with. It is more basic very clear and cheap.

arnaud

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Thank's Paul, I just coppied that for my morgue.
I'm gonna have to break down and buy Ron's advanced book for myself one of these days but there's always something something else I seem to need first, like food, rent...

Latest posts

Sponsors