shotgun border repair

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I took some advice and went about repairing the crooked border. Well I did the repair on the crookedest area but I'm not sure if it's better or not, probably won't be able to decide till it's finished. Still have to stipple more to get it smoothed out.

After finishing the area I decided to recut some lines to get a smooth edge. Is recutting after stippling a border like this common? I think it makes the border look better. I'm going to finish stippling before doing anything else but I'd welcome any advice on this.

Attachments

• IMG_0938.jpg
    IMG_0938.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0942.jpg
    IMG_0942.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 119

Andrew Biggs

Hi Dave

Pay really careful attention to those straight lines, make sure where one end stops...........the other end starts and keep them parallel otherwise you will be digging the hole for yourself even deeper.

Just keep at it. And yes, you can re-cut after stippling.

When you relieve an area, try to get the background as level as possible, that will make the stippling a lot smoother.

Stippling will help a bit with the leveling........but not much. It's like paint, the top coat finish is only as good as the undercoat.

Keep the stippling light, you don't want moon craters either.

Cheers
Andrew

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah, getting it level is the hardest part for me. I've got some real good steel practice plates.

Someone suggested cutting a leaf border. Could something like that be done overtop of stippling, or maybe going back over the stippling with a beading punch. I'm sure there must be several options still.

Joe Mason

Elite Cafe Member
I think you are committed to the stipple border. I think trying to cut or bead over the stippling would not look good. I would suggest finding the widest area of the border and re-cutting the border to that width. Flatten off the tops of the raised areas of the stippling and re- stipple. Not and easy fix, but it is what should be done.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Get your flat really sharp and come in at a rather low angle and you can just shave off a touch at a time. Watch for the corners digging in and don't use too much power.

From watching others I know that when you get better you can do it faster but for now I'm doing OK as long as I do it slow.

If you get the Carl Bleille Scraper template for the Lindsay sharpener it's great for leveling an area. Heck that things works like it was designed for smoothing things down! :p

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you can engrave over stippling. you can, either by leaving it in place if your design idea change allows for it to remain. if not, it can be shaved down flat and work from there. a reall mess and total pita, but possible to do.