Question for Tom Baldwin

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom,

Last year at the engrave in you had some little headless finishing nails that made great scribe points.

What was the name of those and where can I find more of them?

Thanks,

Ray

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray

I remember he said they were carbide finishing nails that used to be the standard for high-end work because you could tap them in and then snap them off just below the surface.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's what I thought too Steve but I have looked all over for those things and can't find them.

I have looked all over the net, every woodworking supply I can find, every model builders store I can find, etc and can't find them anywhere.

Ray

cwbyengraver

They are what you call old skool. I will bring another pile of them if you want just let me know. I will try to find where I got them but its been almost 16 years since I bought them. Are you using them in a mechanical pencil

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like to buy a box from you if you have a box to spare.

I'm using them in a pin vise

Ray

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They are what you call old skool. I will bring another pile of them if you want just let me know. I will try to find where I got them but its been almost 16 years since I bought them. Are you using them in a mechanical pencil

They were a bit too thick for the mechanical pencils I have. Tried .5mm, but they are closer to .9mm? I'm using them in a pin vise too. They work great in there.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
They were a bit too thick for the mechanical pencils I have. Tried .5mm, but they are closer to .9mm? I'm using them in a pin vise too. They work great in there.

So I take it you can only use these on 9mm's? For other calibers you need other nails? :banana:

(pix found on the web, but I can't find a link to whose it is or whether it's © )

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
If you'd used the right brads they wouldn't be able to come out of the woodwork!

With the right size Brads you can make nice Pitts in the surface of the woodwork, and if they are really good Brads you can engrave Paisley patterns.

Dean

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Tom, I had written you on another forum not sure if you received it. I currently live in East TN. but I am from Fort Myers, I will be heading down there Sat the 21st for Christmas and be there all next week, would like very much to meet with you over a coffee and pick your brain a bit as I am just now getting ready to get involved in engraving. I guess the best way to get me now would be at alanmatketing@comcast.net if you can.

Thanks and look forward to maybe meeting up with you

Latest posts

Sponsors