I need a new printer

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have to get a new printer and was hoping for a printer/scanner/fax job that I can also use to make transfers. Any good recommendations without starting a tool war? I looked at some of the old posts, but technology changes so quick anymore. I was previously driving to town, and using the copy machine at the public library to make transfers. Very inconvenient. Thanks everyone. Seth

Andrew Biggs

When you say transfers..............exactley what transfers do you mean????? because there are a lot of methods and formulas for this. Some work for some trypes of transfers and not others etc etc.

Transparancies, parchment paper, lasers and so on.

When you decide what method you want to persue..........then decide on what information to gather.

Type in transfers on the search button and you will get a lot of very good and useful information.

Cheers
Andrew

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ah heck Andrew, I don't know which method I want. Seems like there is plenty of good ways to make a transfer in the tips section, and I figure I can adapt to the printer. Just looking for a good brand or recommendation. I was using acetone with the library printer, but don't mind switching to parchment or transparencies with a laser printer. Acetone never really does much of a good job anyway. Fair and easy, but not too great. I did print out a lot of photos on my now defunct cannon pixma, but after 6 years it won't print black anymore, or feed paper from the top.

Two Hawks, thanks for the tip. I'll check them out.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Choices.........don't you just love them. Life would be so much simpler if we only ever had one option!!

Yesterday I went to the fastenings place and told the guy I needed 100 stainless steel, mushroom head, square hole, self tapping 30mm screws.

He asked me "what gauge?"

A really tricky question for me..........so I held my thumb and index fingers apart and said "about that size"

So he just shot me that withering look of "Oh my God, not another one" and proceeded to tell me all this technical info about gauges.

Silly me........all I wanted was 100 stainless steel, mushroom head, square hole, self tapping 30mm screws...........about that size :)

Cheers
Andrew

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
I got a new Lexmark Interact S605 printer/scanner/copier a few months ago. It was recommended by Consumer Reports, and I like its performance.
One possible drawback (at least as of a couple of weeks ago) is that the ink was not available at the office stores (including the one which sold the printer).
My first batch was bought from Lexmark, and my most recent batch was ordered through Amazon.
(I know nothing about Lexmark's suitability as a transfer printer...)
Gary

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've had a couple of Lexmarks and never had a problem other than using generic ink cartridges not made by them.

For everything you want to know about printers, as well as good pricing go to:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=21&name=Printers

Choose from appropriate subcategory on the left. I've used this outfit for years with no problems. Also, if you sign up for their email specials, you will receive several per week, but it is worth it when you find something on your "wish list" at a good price.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
New Printer

I too am in the market for a printer. One reason I have not bought one is I am a bit overwelmed by all the info on the forums about them.
I am thinking that a laser is the best way to go from what I have read. It seems that the first decision to make is Laser or Inkjet, and then go from there. Kevin Scott

spank7357

Elite Cafe Member
vermilion, ohio (on lake erie) and Inverness, Fla.
I like my Lexmark ink jet as far as general printing goes. I don't like that I have to order cartridges by mail and they are quite expensive. My printer came with my computer as a package deal but that doesn't tell the whole story. I am now looking for a dry toner based printer for transfer purposes and one that has cheaper cartridges. I have been told that dry toner cartridges produce the least expensive copies. I got a list of reccomended printers from this web site. I have used Pictorico Premium OHP Transparency Film as recommended on this site with my ink-based Lexmark and have had reasonable success. Information about this high quality transparency film is available at www.pictorico.com. I ordered by phone at:
Bostick-Sullivan
phone 877.817.4320
international orders phone 505.474.0890
cost: 2 packs of 20sheets for a total of 40 sheets was $52.28 including shipping
I hope this info helps a little bit. Best regards, Spank

Latest posts

Sponsors