Cameleons- Engraving by Andrew Vorontsov

Bill Tokyo

Here is a watch movement that Andrew Vorontsov, a talented young engraver in Russia is working on for me
I'm hoping he might also participate in the forum from time to time.

For those of you that know about watches, this is a Unitas movement, the 6479, I think. It is pocket watched
It is pocket watch sized, but it is now very popular in wrist watches. to enable you to orient yourself
the barrel is located below where Andrew has engraved leaves

Attachments

• AV_Cameleons.jpg
    AV_Cameleons.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 245

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
cameleons

holy gee hossapaffers ! the good, the brave, the beautiful ! such a thing to behold !

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bill that's sweet. Was it your idea or did you you leave it up to Andrew? Is it going into a wrist watch or a pocket watch and will the case be of the same motif.
Very creative
Mike

Bill Tokyo

Hi Mike,

It was neither of our ideas. A Russian client of Andrew's requested it, and Andrew sent me the drawing. I like it so much that I asked Andrew for one too.

This latest series of seven watches that Andrew is making for me originally started out with a theme
"in the woods". The first one was a movement engraved and skeletonized as Wasps and the second one was
Snails. I sometimes do drawings and send them to Andrew with ideas and layout, but Andrew then completely redoes them in his own style. Although we have somewhat similar ideas, our designs are completely different.

Once the movement is done, Andrew then makes the hands and a special cut away dial for it. We case them in cases I had made by Fricker, a very good German watch case maker.

It's very hard for one man companies like Andrerw or myself to find watch suppliers that will do business with us,but Montres Choisi sold us the movements, as as I said, Fricker GmbH supplied the cases. Both of these firms are decent family run businesses that are unlike so many of the firms in the watch business today.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bill I don't know if your from the USA. But there is a fellow I think here in Pennsylvania that started a company that hand makes watches. He uses old Hamilton pocket watch movements, engraves them, makes the cases, and does bulino art on the dial. Your watch reminded me of that. Would it be possible to show more of the collection maybe even cased. I love to see more.
Mike

Joe Mason

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for showing the photo of this beautiful work. This site is great. It is bring so many different types of engravers together. I think it will continue to grow. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
VERY cool indeed. I like lizards, dragons, etc. and also pocket watches.

Excellent work!

Thanks,
Peter

Dmitry Martinov

Elite Cafe Member
Interesting ang good looking work. It will be also good to see some pictures, how it was looking befor Andrew start to engrave it. I like how engraver made the composition of engraved part and left piece of watches unengraved. Great job !

Bill Tokyo

Hi Mike,

I'm originally from Chicago via Seattle. I wonder if you mean Roland Murphy of RGM watches in Lancaster, PA.
Roland is Swiss trained, but what is unique is that he has set himself to matering engine turning. some of his dials are also bulino, but he's mainly know for his engine turning. His sense of design and balance is superb, in my opinion.

I'm going to post some more of Andrew's watches later today, I hope.

Bill

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Bill: What part of Tokyo are you in? I normally stay near Kamata stn. Maybe we can get together next year when I return. Do you attend IJT show? / ~Sam

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ya Bill that's the guy. I believe he also worked for Hamilton at he old factory. He is known for his engine turning but I believe he has been doing some limited edition dials. This stuff intrigues me. My Uncle was a Watch Maker for about 40 years I used to clean up the place and do the machine engraving when I was a kid.
Definitely post more.
Mike

Bill Tokyo

Hi Sam,

I'm in Takadanobaba right near Waseda University. Love to get together. Maybe you could show me a thing or two about engraving, as I absolutely have no idea which end is up.

What's the IJT show? Is this a knife show by any chance? I've heard that there is some good engraving at some of the knife shows, and I've also heard about one fellow here who does some beautiful lighters.

There just has to be more engraving here than I've been able to find so far and any hints would be very welcome!!!

Sponsors