more Mag-lite engraving

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
just finished. Mag lites are great practice pieces, great gifts ands bring in a nice revenue stream from the right clientele.

If I was critiquing this one, I would say the W and the A are bit too close... too much light letter and not enough dark background... really I was trying to compensate for that S with the placement of the WA and I really don't like the S.... but trying to swirl it around in the given area, that was the best that I came up with..

Without trying to pick it apart though, overall I don't think it looks too bad.

Attachments

• mag-watkins.jpg
    mag-watkins.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 227

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott that looks good. I guess the paint doesn't chip off those when engraved. That gives me a great idea for a couple of my friends for gifts. There hard to buy for but they would like something like this.
Mike

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks good to me. I cut some aluminum (from a ski pole) that I used to make a ferrule for a screwdriver. VERY soft but cut smoothly.

Peter

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,
the aluminum alloy in Mag-lites is 6061 I think, but in any case it cuts quite crisp. it is softer than steel, but not terribly so like some alloys. Only issue I sometimes have is the anodizing will flake along the edge of the cut, so that a close inspection makes the lines look ragged, but its only maybe 1 out 15 or so that happens. but it does'nt continue to flake or chip like for instance bad plating would and is really only noticeable with a close look.

I do Okay on these pricewise getting somewhere between $100 and $450 depending on if it's a monogram, coat of arms, house portrait or personal portrait. Like most things in engraving, you have to build your market up, and its references and word of mouth amongst the right clientele that brings someone to you looking for that special project. I have done a bunch of these Mag-lites, and as people see them, its oh, let me get one for my husband's birthday next fall or some such thing. I don't really push them, I'm sure if I promoted them more, I could get more and higher prices but between airguns and my other concerns, I get enough of these to keep them interesting but not enough to be overwhelmed.

Latest posts

Sponsors