All my own

Steve

Hello all,

No more GRS etched plates. This is my first try at a practice plate that I designed, drew and cut all on my own. Any and all comments welcomed...

Steve

Attachments

• Art10.jpg
    Art10.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 245

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Steve, looks to me you are on your way to creating your own look/pattern. This in time as you further develop it, will be your signature. I applaud your creativity and forsee further improved development. For a newby, you are making tremendus strides and I strongly encourage you to continue your drawing and practicing the basic cuts to compliment your new designs. FWIW, Ken

Steve

Ken,
Thanks for your comments. I am glad you noticed that my work might look just a little different. I spent quite a bit of time trying to do something different. I'm just trying find my own way with whats in my head and I'm glad you noticed. I had a couple of other private e-mails making the same observations. Now I feel I'm under a little pressure to try and stay fresh...

Best Regards,

Steve

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Keep up the good work, Steve. You're doing great. Unique design that's nicely shaded. That'd look good with a black background, too.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very well executed Steve. A very nice design on an Art-Nouveauesque theme that works quite well. If I had to be very picky I'd say I'm not quite sure if it balances perfectly as it moves towards the centre? Perhaps the supporting flower could've been a shade larger? But this really is nit-picking as you've clearly put a lot of effort in to this. Try now to develop it.

For example, there was a thread once (I can't remember if it was on this or perhaps another forum) which discussed from which angle the light came from. If this was a design with a dark, cut away, background it wouldn't be so important but, as the background is plain there's nothing to throw it forward. Think about perhaps using a 'shadow' line to lift it from the plate and shading more from one side to give it a 3D effect.

Above all, I strongly support Ken's words. You've really done well coming up with this but there is still a lot to be learned from 'traditional' and other styles.... and drawing .....and strengthening and developing your basic cutting technique (all the 'boring' stuff). I know it's fun to develop something new, but by really getting to grips with the fundementals you really could go somewhere with this pattern and lift it into another league entirely. Well done!!!

PS, another really easy way you could really have improved this would've been to polish the practice plate first. I really hate this dull, rolled steel finish......I suppose it makes it easier to photograph though! Preparation of the steel is something that gets over looked. Preparing a gun for engraving takes time and one of the things is polishing the action and getting the file marks, etc., out. I'm lucky, the gunmakers do it for me. Trust me on this, it really will make your work look great! NB, the polish doesn't have to be mirror finish (that can be a hiderance), I like mine with a soft satin sheen.

Last edited:

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The GRS pre-designed plates served you well, but the leap to your own designs carrying with you what you've learned is a transition that doesn't always go well. What you've done is a great start. Its just an interesting design and cut well.
And if you would do the same thing on a piece of sterling silver and then pierce it out, it'd make a great ladies pin. Just a thought.

Allan

Steve

Marcus,

I certainly don't consider your comments as nit-picking. As I have stated before, It's a privilege for us newbies to have engravers of your stature to take the time to look closely at our work, and make thoughtful judgments! Thanks for your time and energy...

Steve

Latest posts

Sponsors