magnifier

mhgjewel

Elite Cafe Member
this is something i have been working on. i took a pair of Eschenbach binocular loupes glasses and first made them into an an optivisor stle that flips up. then recently i converted them into a fixed magnifier on a flexable grs multiple section. i do like the last one i did the best.

hope that gives other some ideas. this is really great for stone setting.

Attachments

• loupes.jpg
    loupes.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Modified glasses  12.jpg
    Modified glasses 12.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0054A.JPG
    IMG_0054A.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0055a.JPG
    IMG_0055a.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 182

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd say it's a poor man's stereo microscope but most of those binocular loupes I looked at cost too much.

I like it! Your last iteration gives you a cross between the visual stability of a scope but keeps some of the angle of view flexibility of head mounted optics. Not as easy to take a look from off to the side as if they're attached to your head but not too hard and you can take angles with this you could never take with a scope.

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
You did well, I like the way you think,,,My first magnifier was a big lens out of a movie projector mounted a redesigned coat hanger.

mhgjewel

Elite Cafe Member
it says 4.5 x but it seems more like 7x or 8x, maybe because of the binocular.

for looking down engraving the scope is definately the better route this is good for when i am doing stone setting or odd angled engraving

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does it give a steady view??? I have one like that but with every litle move of my head the the whole view gets very unsteady, so you don't see it clear.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That is very clever! I've never liked those head magnifiers because the depth of field is so thin that any head movement makes everything go out of focus. You have solved the problem as far as that goes. I'm thinking this could be a good stereo microscope-Optivisor go-between.

I've added your post to the Tips Archive. Thanks for sharing this with us. / ~Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors