Amazing Product Recommendation!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you've ever wanted more control over your engraving vise, here's the good news: Greptile Gripping Material by 3M
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Greptile/Home/Greptile/Technology/

This stuff is incredible! Wrap it around the back of the jaws and the sides of the rotating half of your vise- wherever your vise hand touches- it's like power steering! Hands a little sweaty in the summer or dry in the winter? No problem. If you'd like to tighten the vise rotation, but then have difficulty turning it, this will fix that, too. I've had it on mine for years and will never work without it again. You could even try it on your handpiece -personally I thought it was overkill, but you might like it.

Now here's the bad news: It's been discontinued by the mfr and you'll have to scramble to find any from baseball & golf retailers. Enough tape for a vise is about $7.00-$9.00 (If you're really hardcore you could buy a matching glove for super traction!)

http://clubmaker-online.com/grip1.html

http://www.ultimatesportsmemorabilia.com/xlr8batwrap.html

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch, I haven't had that problem but it's good to know it's out there. Is it the glove itself or a wrapping material.
3M, one of my faves, also produces 'Temflex', a rubber splicing tape. I use it to wrap chasing tools and other punches, makes a great griping surface.
Kevin P.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
3M used to make a few different grades of Greptile tapes in various widths & backing materials and some other mfrs made gloves with matching contact surfaces for golf, baseball, etc. apparently NASCAR drivers and others used them in combination for the ultimate grip- face to face it's almost like velcro. i found some wide adhesive-backed stuff and wrapped my vise in it maybe 7-8 years ago and absolutely love it. recently i was looking to get some more for something else and could find it on 3M's website but then hit kind of a dead end. i called and they told me it had been discontinued awhile back, but the web pages obviously hadn't been deleted yet.

the really nice thing about it is if your shop gets hot in the summer, especially under the worklights, and your hands sweat a little, this stuff is totally unaffected. rubberized tapes with smooth surfaces don't work nearly as well.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Well, I went to two golf shops and no one seems to have any of this grip stuff. Anyway, upon looking for something I misplaced in every possible place I could have placed the item (and never finding it) I found a couple rolls of Camo Tape that I use on my shotguns for turkey hunting. So I thought...what the heck, I'll put some on the outer surface of the jaws of my Magna Block.
Low and behold it works pretty good. No slippage. I just placed it on the outer surface of the jaws and trimmed with a pen knife.

Works for me.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I ordered some online and will report back when I've tried it. Sounds great!

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I currently use that non-skid tape on mine, kind of like what you might find on a ladder rung.

But, you can bet that if what you're buying is made by 3M it'll do exactly what they say it'll do. They must have a crack group of engineers working for them or something, they're always innovative and every product I've ever used from them has been perfect.

That tape I have on mine is like sand paper texture and will sand the callouses off your hands if you use it enough... that's a good thing right?

Latest posts

Sponsors