Obtaining high resolution printing in Abobe Illustrator

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Up until now, I have been content to use Photoshop CS2, to scan my design sketches for engraving, then scale down to size, use high dpi settings, and print for design transfer in the oft-quoted ways, using a Mac computer and both Epson and HP printers.

Recently I have been trying Adobe CS2 Illustrator, to see if tracing my sketches with the vector pen tool to create a 'path' on a separate 'layer', which can then be 'stroked' with a thin black line, thereafter I can scale the design up or down and get a smooth printout with no pixelation, as vectors are mathematical equations, and not bitmaps.

I know many use Corel Draw, and not Illustrator.

Trouble appears for me in that I am not clear what goes wrong with my print options to get the small printouts to appear with clean and clear crisp lines, which is the promise of vector work? My prints on transparencies look quite rough edged and sketchy, not what I was expecting?

Might some experienced Illustrator user give me a clue about print settings for crisp results?

Thank you!

Rod

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"How to prepare your pencil design into vectors for transferring" by Arnaud is in the tips file. It may be of some help.
Kevin P.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Here's what she said so far...

I'm guessing that you are scanning in your sketches and turning them into templates in Illustrator CS2? Are you then turning off that layer when you go to print? If you are actually creating a template, and drawing on another layer you should not have to turn off that layer because templates don't print.

Are you printing as an .ai file and not a .pdf or eps file? Somewhere in the preferences dialog box (and it might be in the printers dialog box) there should be a dpi setting, and that should be 600 dpi. Make sure you are printing in the best mode possible.

If you do a test page, just draw a box or something and print from Ill, how does that come out?

Let me know...Melanie Marshall

Rod, I'm sending you a PM shortly...

Brian

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you, Melanie, Brian, and Kevin!

Yes, Arnaud's video is good, Kevin, and I also have a month of Lynda.com tutorials for reference on Illustrator.

The print dialog box for Illustrator is large and complicated, and I must check to see if I am printing as an ai file.

This is all very generous of y'all, and I will keep you informed!

best

Rod

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"I also have a month of Lynda.com tutorials for reference on Illustrator."

Rod I'm in the same position. I'm just starting my month of tutorials and trying to figure out the same problem as you. If I have any breakthroughs I'll let you know.
Good luck to us both.
Kevin P.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kevin,

Lynda.com is great, but make sure you go to your account as soon as you have bought your one month access....then immediately cancel your account, this will continue to keep it working until the end of your paid month, before it shuts you down. Otherwise, it will automatically keep renewing and charging you month after month!

However, it is a friendly and valuable business, and who can beat 24 hours of video lessons for about 80 cents a day!

Rod

Sponsors