Ring lights?

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is the led ring light sold by GRS. any better then the conventonal fluorescent ring light. I am having some problems with too much glare from the fluorescent one.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jerry,
I went to the LED light from the fluorescent light and I like it better, BUT...
I do mostly guns and not shiny metals like silver or gold jewelry. On shiny metal you can get a "halo" or "UFO" effect from the LEDs. It doesn't seem to bother on something with a 600 grit finish. Also, the LED is adjustable intensity. I think all the lights have some sort of "glare" but I found I could see pencil lines easier with the LED light than the other. Before I would have to turn off the light. It might even be the color of the light as well.
Like I say, this is my opinion for my application. Your mileage may vary.
Rex

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I appreciate the opinions. For the price I think I will just buy one as I do both guns and silver work. The glare on the silver is almost blinding. I have a led standing lamp also and it is always in the way.

Brian

Last edited:

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Brian,
How would you describe the color of the led light? I bought a fiber optic ring light a while back as a backup to my normal Nikon Fluorescent ring light which I love. The color of the fiber optic light is incredibly warm as in yellowish. I really prefer the fluorescent because it is a cooler color as in bluish which is easier on my eyes I think. The blue light seems to give better contrast as well.
Thanks Andy

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jerry, I have found covering my flurescent lights with a sheet of vellum guts down the glare, this may work for you. J.J.Roberts

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can also approach it from the other direction - use the old photographer's trick of 'dulling spray'. You can either go out and buy the official stuff or do like most folks who don't want to spend that much and use some cheap hair spray.

Just spritz a light touch over your work and it will cut the glare.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jerry, vellum used to be calf skin used in the book trade.
Something simpler is 'diffusion film' sold in photography supply stores. It's sold by the sheet, inexpensive.
Another thing that you might try is 'sheet foam' (it's flat) used for wrapping things. Wrap it around your light source. DJ of GRS recommended this; it works.
For some things I turn off the ring light on my scope, which I like in most cases, and use a desk lamp (florescent) and set it off to the side. HTH
Kevin P.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Essentially the modern version of Vellum is just a very high quality of tracing type paper.
It is the film used by architects and designers to draw original plans for blue prints.
Ask for Drafting Vellum at any well stocked art supply store if you want some.
To scrim a drafting or engraving light any decent tracing paper will work though.
Best.

Last edited:

Brian

Brian,
How would you describe the color of the led light? I bought a fiber optic ring light a while back as a backup to my normal Nikon Fluorescent ring light which I love. The color of the fiber optic light is incredibly warm as in yellowish. I really prefer the fluorescent because it is a cooler color as in bluish which is easier on my eyes I think. The blue light seems to give better contrast as well.
Thanks Andy

Andy

Hard to say its true color, it's not true white - it's more blue/white. Many LED flashlights have more blue tint then the ring LED.

Brian

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks fellows. I am thinking the kind of led ring light sold by GRS has a control that lights different sections of the ring. I am hoping this will give the light a different angle and therefore cut the glare some. At least it dims

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jerry,
That is the light I have and you can control the light in 4 quadrants plus dim it.
It seems to work for me.

Latest posts

Sponsors