A Little Sculpting with Sam's DVD

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Gotta solid 14K bangle a customer stuck the store with because she saw the price and decided on a hollow one. With the price of gold ... I don't blame her. Lucky me 'cause now I get to turn $1000 bracelet into a $2500 one ... or maybe more, and better the odds of selling it at the same time.

Decided to use the same style of deep relief scroll that I am using on motorcycle parts now .... aka: Carl Bliele's sculpted flare cut. I have to say that I really like a style that performs well on any canvas and am going to "borrow" the style for other applications.

I removed background deep with a small ball burr, carved away excess gold with flats then used the sculpting punch that Sam illustrates in his video to shape & smooth things out. I chose to polish the sculpting punch as I wanted shiny results. On a micro-scale, it has a nice hammered appearance which I am pleased with.

Diamonds will be set in the flowers when this is complete ......

Have an awesome day!!! I'm off to get a much needed power nap :)

Last edited:

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice. Hope it sells quickly and you make big $$$$$$. Would love to see photos of it completed with the stones.
Keith

CJ Tate

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful design and execution. Not surprising as your work is always excellent. Please post another pic when you get one of the flowers done and set. - Candy

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
chris: cool, man. now one of your great creations is moving slow, so everybody can really see and enjoy it. which was more difficult, the bracelet or the large bike part ?

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hey Chris,

The math works out better than you think. With all of the material being removed, your $1000 bracelet is now going to be about $650 bumped up to $2500, and you get to keep the sweeps. Sweet, and the design is great, too!

Regards,
Doug

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Doug, I was just thinking the same thing. I'm amazed at how digging out a few grams can actually increase the value. Only in the jewelry market!!!

Monk, I have to say that cutting gold is far better than aluminum on any day. The sculpting tool is key on malleable precious metals as it actually saves time when you get the hang of it.

Thank-you Candy & Kieth .... Still have to shade the flowers too. There'll be five 2mm to 3mm diamonds set. I'll post the final results as soon as the setter does his thing. Probably some time next week.

Thanks Mike & Kevin.

In this slow economy it's always good to add as many new techniques to the arsenal as possible. It made this project fun and that's the best medicine for the ailment called "work". ;)

Catch ya'll later guys .... glad you like it.

Chris

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Way cool and it looks great! Thanks for showing us, and I am sure looking forward to a posted a pic with the diamonds. Seth

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Was just thinking, hope your keeping that lemel otherwise you got about $100 on the workshop floor at the end :shock:

Nice job.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Looking good Chris, Getting great ridding weather down South, and with Spring break there's allot chicks that would love to ride down the beach than walk... Come on down...
Jerry

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Chris, glad to see you are pushing the limits and learning new skills. In this slowed-down economy, this is a good time to branch out and try new things. You should be proud of your efforts. Its beautiful !!!

vanknife

Elite Cafe Member
Chris That looks realy good. Still in the USA and itching to get back to my engraving setup to try what i have learned at Ray's.

Cheers

"VAN"

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Wow, Chris! You're getting some great depth and modeling of the scrolls and leaves. Really nice sculpting! At the present this technique is pretty rare in the jewelry market and I think it has great potential. And you're proving that you do, too. :thumbs up:

Latest posts

Sponsors