Question: Is there a MAC versoin of Autocad?

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am thinking about taking a few evening courses to learn to better use autocad and a few other programs that will help me with designing on the computer.

Do any of you mac users know if there is a mac version of autocad?
I know I can run Parallels and have windows on my mac but I am not interested in doing that. I like the Mac OS and have no interest in anything windows now days.

Thanks in advanced

Ray

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leroy,

Thanks for that. The way that works is by using a program called parallels to run both mac OS and Windows on my computer. It partitions you hard drive into two halves. One for mac os and one for windows. I really don't want to have both operating systems on my computer.

Apparently, autocad is not an option on my mac without running the parallels with the hard drive partition.

Does anyone know if adobe has a version of a cad type program?

Come on Sam. I know if its out there for a mac you have probably found it.:big grin:

Ray

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll never waste money on another PC. :shock: I remember those days and all the repair bills.

Ray

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
I share your frustrations with PC's, Ray. I do some designing with Rhino on a PC, and am waiting for the Mac OS version to be finished. It's still in beta form and a bit quirky.

daren

Hey Ray,

I have run Parallels and currently run VMware fusion solely for the use of IE. You can set Parallels up without a partition and run it as a virtual machine - it's pretty cool that a whole separate computer is contained within a folder in "documents". If you get a problem with the computer just trash the folder - nice easy fix, just make sure you've saved a early clean copy. However, you still have to mess with with that nasty Microsoft Windows.

That being said there are a number of 3D programs for the Mac. It has been a few years so I'm not sure which program will output the file types you need. But: Skechup by Google (free version and a pro for 'bout $500?), Blender (free), Modo by Luxology, Maxon's Cinema 4D, and Autodesk has Maya and 3Ds Max. Most of these are for animation but I think Cinema4D, Skechup, Modo, and Blender will output files for CAD/CAM?

BES

Elite Cafe Member
AutoCAD for Mac OS X

Hi Ray!

Ray as, I am happy owner Apple Mac Pro,
I am simply obliged to help you!

CrossOver.jpg

Ray, I do not know, what complexity you are going to do drawings in program AutoCAD?

If you are not going to project Large Hadron Collider it is quite reasonable, to look for more simple program which will understand and keep your drawings in format AutoCAD!

products_cxmac.png

Also that this program would be written specially for Mac OS X!

If to you it is necessary only in program AutoCAD and any other program is not necessary to you, then, it is necessary to go on small cunnings!

cxlogo_mac.png

The story about a product from an official site CrossOver Mac

Need to run Windows applications on your Mac? CrossOver Mac is what you are looking for. With seamless integration with your Mac OS 10 operating system, there's no need to boot a separate Windows partition, or move files back and forth between two separate environments. CrossOver Mac lets you work natively in Mac OS 10; you run your Windows applications directly in OS 10 and save all your work files there as well. Running just one operating system means faster performance as well. Running on OS 10 also means that even if you're running virus-prone applications like Outlook and Internet Explorer, you're completely protected. And best of all, you need NO Windows OS license.

The reference on official a site of product CrossOver Mac
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

At the given stage, full compatibility has AutoCAD R14

CrossOver Compatibility
AutoCAD R14
Autodesk, Inc.
Full featured 2d and 3d drafting. An industry standard.

The reference to the Table of compatibility CrossOver Mac
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/company/?company_id=55

BES
Eric S. Brezhitsky

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray, I'm in complete agreement. If you're a designer why would you want anything other than a Mac.
MOre to the point of your question: there is a website "ganoskin.com"; it's a metals site.
It seems there's a lot of activity concerning design programs.
As I'm typing this I see posts popping up concerning this topic.
Ganoskin may be interesting; I know nothing about these design programs.
Kevin P.