Question: Money clips; argentium or stirling silver?

BES

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Marcus!

Hi Marcus!

Marcus when, we have a little squabbled,
In one of posts because of money!
One member of a forum, has written to me,
That you very good and vulnerable person!
I have understood it when you have written about the father!
That you brought to it works,
And it did not react at all to them.

Marcus, I have very much started to respect you!!!
I represent as you was sick
At these moments!

I wish to tell to you that to me it is not important,
There is on a product a brand about breakdown, or not!
If this thing is made so that my heart
Starts to fight more strongly in a breast,
And hands reach her
– It means the Fine thing!!!

Remember, we discussed pyrography,
One artist!
You said that it has spent many forces,
But nobody will pay to it the adequate sum for its work!
She has written the letter where has told,
That has sold 2 works for $6,000

Here to you and the answer!!!
Important клиймо, threw, stones?
Or a particle of your soul
Which you, as the Master
Enclose in the product!!!

I am simply assured that your product
Will estimate and will buy for the good sum
And without a brand the assay office!!!

Yours faithfully!
Eric S. Brezhitsky

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris are you in the UK or Finland?
I'm interested in finding out more about fairs in the UK; any sources of info you could mention? I assume the fairs take place in the summer months
I'm planning a visit to the UK. I have relatives in Shropshire (my father's birthplace).
One thing additional I meant to post: www.kevinpatrickkelly.com
Kevin P.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus in the US craft fairs are a difficult way to go but then so is every other way. I would estimate that one-tenth of 1% who attempt succeed and that figure may be on the high side.
The only way to find out what constitutes a good one is to check it out for yourself.
The questions I ask of people is how many people attend, do they pay admission and is it indoors?
Kevin P.
www.kevinpatrickkelly.com

J Saville

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,

If you already buy from RIO Grande, they sell money clips to be engraved, both in silver and nickle silver. The nickle silver blanks are sold in packs of twenty for about $13 to $15.00 US.

I hold them in a reusable Jig I made out of thermo lock from GRS. It works great.

I've done about 10 of the nickle silver ones. Like you I had no Idea of what to charge so I used some of them as advertisements by giving them as door prizes at our cowboy action shoots with a business card.

Just a thought...

John S.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Chris are you in the UK or Finland?
I'm interested in finding out more about fairs in the UK; any sources of info you could mention? I assume the fairs take place in the summer months
I'm planning a visit to the UK. I have relatives in Shropshire (my father's birthplace).
One thing additional I meant to post: www.kevinpatrickkelly.com
Kevin P.

Hi Kevin, i`m from the UK but live in Finland now.

However i do keep well in contact with whats happening there.

Try http://www.craft-fair.co.uk
See what you can find from there.

James Miller

Hi Kevin, If you are in the UK mid July, here is a fair that is worth checking out, http://www.artinaction.org.uk its on 15th to 18th of July 2010.
This fair covers all aspects of art and there are usually many jewellers and allied trades exhibiting there.
James Miller FIPG.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
James, when talking to some of the Hand Engravers Association folks apparently Art in Action is very difficult to get into as a seller/demonstrator. Do you know whether or not if this is true? It's certainly considered on of the most prestigious art events that i know of. I've missed the past 3 years and am determined to go this year.

BES, whether one likes it or not 'assaying' an article (like proofing a gun) is the law in this country and there are very heavy penalties if you are caught trying to avoid it. If you are proud of something you've made it doesn't make sense to have to tell people it originated from elsewhere in Europe rather than the UK where it can carry your own makers mark too. Money isn't everything I agree, but engraving is my living and after 32 years in the game I don't know what else to do as it's in my blood now. It's not just a passionate hobby as it is for some.

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
James I went to the website. It seems to be more of an exhibition than a selling event.

Are there people who can possibly earn a living, say in jewelry, selling at craft fairs in the UK?

Art in Action looks very interesting. Thanks for the tip.
Kevin P.

James Miller

James I went to the website. It seems to be more of an exhibition than a selling event.

Are there people who can possibly earn a living, say in jewelry, selling at craft fairs in the UK?

Art in Action looks very interesting. Thanks for the tip.
Kevin P.

Kevin, The Art in Action event has a large marquee called Marketplace, this is where items are sold. I exhibited at the pair once as The Institute of Professional Goldsmiths were given a whole tent and invited to exhibit for free. I showed a couple of my pieces but did not expect to sell as I only had high value stock. All I can say is that when my wife and I visit each year my credit card takes a massive hit.

James Miller

James, when talking to some of the Hand Engravers Association folks apparently Art in Action is very difficult to get into as a seller/demonstrator. Do you know whether or not if this is true? It's certainly considered on of the most prestigious art events that i know of. I've missed the past 3 years and am determined to go this year.

Marcus, the people who organised the fair in the past have changed. The show only used to be every two years and was difficult to get in, I believe you had to be invited in early years. But as things have now changed I am told that gaining a space is much easier. It's a good day out anyway, providing you get good weather.
I will be going again this year.
James

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus, there is a great craft show at Stonor Park near Henley at the end of august, thats fairly near you and worth a visit.

Kevin, I think craft-fairs are mostly for getting yourself and your craft known to the public, the bigger shows get alot of traffic over a weekend.. a few sales at a show, and having some business cards with your website & other info is probably the way to go.
A few customers spread the word, and things go from there.
Some regulars pick say half dozen shows a year & then work on orders via their websites ect.

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris this gets more and more to point.
"Some regulars pick say half dozen shows a year & then work on orders via their websites ect.(what's ect.)"

What if you do one-offs, high end one-offs? At shows I do it's not uncommon for a big rush (relatively) of people who want to see things first, before anything is sold.
Is it then uncommon for the public to buy at these shows in the UK?

I'm what's called a studio jeweler in the US and I prefer that people don't come to my studio unless they are already customers and I feel there's a real possibility of money changing hands - from theirs to mine. I only do custom work for people who know my work and don't give much direction.

I haven't been to the UK in a long time and I'm curious if this sort of craft work goes on there (professional curiosity). I guess if the jewelry gods are beneficent I'll just have to visit; maybe the one you mentioned at Stoner Park.
Thanks for the info.
Kevin P.

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"I showed a couple of my pieces but did not expect to sell as I only had high value stock."
James Miller

So James is there no venue for someone like yourself other than in the shop where you worked? You would have to open your own place on the street?

I'm high-end relative to most jewelers who sell at the same fairs as I; certainly not at the level you're accustomed to.
It is interesting that in these economic times high value items sell easier for me. Jewelers who do lower-end work are having a very difficult time.
Thanks for the input James.
Kevin P.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I have just opened my own retail store, and the economic times here are rough. I have a line of Celtic jewelry that I make, cast pieces in Sterling and Gold (mostly Sterling) and am just finishing engraving 100 pairs of earings, in Celtic and Western. We go to Scottish Highland Games, and generally do well, and next month we are trying a Renaissance Faire, and hope to do well there too. The type of Craft Show/Art Fair you do can determine your success, based on your offerings. The shows hopefully establish a clientele that will repeat, as well as some concentrated cash flow, if it all works out. We have done shows that didn't cover expenses, and that really hurts.

Generally Sterling retails for 4-5X the cost (not counting embellishment) and gold for 3X, it's called triple key or keystone. I base my pricing in Silver more on the embellishment, and in gold more on the metal price. I also try to consider the market, and make things affordable. Of the 100 pairs of Earrings, 80 pairs will be priced at $99.00/pair. I have to engrave fairly rapidly, but they have been selling, so I keep having to do more.

Will

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I hope you do well at your shows. I've heard good things about Renaissance shows; some people do them for the entire season of the show.

Traditionally 'keystone' means doubling the price of merchandise that one is going to resell; there's also triple 'key'.
Kevin P.

Sponsors