My First Practice Plates!!

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Hi All,
This was my First practice plate. about 5 months ago.
Although I used some of the Forum's Members Practices I Actually redrew them myself to get the Feel of How
they went about getting to the actual design, Spine First then some filling etc. So if it looks like Your Work!!
Please Don't be Offended. :eek:

The Second is A hunter I did for a Very Good Friend, And Yes! He is still my Friend After I gave Him This.:D
Ya All must Realise that We Dont have any Engravers of Note! in Africa. I have Found that even in the Knifemaking Fraternity it is not very well Accepted. Education I think is in Order.!! At Our Last Guild Show I had Some Engraved Knives and Folders, And A Woman Remarked that it looks FEMENISTIC, Doesn't belong on a Knife. :D

Attachments

• Practiceplate1.jpg
    Practiceplate1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 217
  • GeorgeHunter50.jpg
    GeorgeHunter50.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 183

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Looking good, Chris! I recognized the example done in the oval. :)
Can you zoom closer with your camera? It's difficult to see the detail. Based on what I see, you can be proud of your progress. / ~Sam

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
Thanks :eek: Yes Your Work has really Inspired Me, I Love It.!! Same with Ray and Steve's work.!!!
I have One of Your DVD from Fega. Nearly Worn Out.!!:D
I'm Batling with the photography Part, I have build The "Coop" box, but I think that it is my Lighting. Same as Engraving Practice Practice!!

You Are Up Late?:)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yes, we've been up late. Still jetlagged from the 13hr time difference. :(
I never did a FEGA dvd. You must be thinking of someone else. / ~Sam

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice Chris, a couple of bits have a slight uneveness (ie bumps in some of the lines) but apart from that a very nice job! The knife looks great! It's your job to be our ambassador in Africa as regards engraving. 'Femininisic' my a*** (we spell it the proper way not like the donkey, lol)...just point out to those who make this sort of comment that the greatest leaders, Monarchs and warriors throughout history have embellished arms and armour and in no way could they be described as feminine! A definite need to educate.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Chris..Welcome to the Forum! Wish my 1st practice plate looked like that. As far as the knife I would have
told the woman it looks feministic because I did it for a woman. Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Chris I like the knife and would be proud to own it! Feminine certainly would not come to mind in describing it.
You just need to find the buyer who appreciates your work.
As far as the market in your area accepting engraving as part of the knifemaking game, that can be a tough thing to deal with. Thats where marketing research may be in order?
Keep an open eye, and see if there are local subjects and designs that would be commonly accepted and worked into your designs and be considered acceptable and desireable. You have to sell to the market your in, by that i mean, while I might admire a Michael Angelo painting it would not fit into my home or lifestyle.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with JJ. Nothing wrong with knives for women. Both my pre-teen girls have thier own pocket knives.

your stuff is looking nice. Like Marcus said. Work on smoothing things out. Work on developing a finess to your cut.

Ray

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Guys,
For the Encouragement,!!! We Will get to the Education bit in the future, as a lot of Knifemakers in the guild has purchased Engravers and some even Went For Courses in the States, sam Knows Andr'e, Des Horn, The Harveys Kevin & Heather.

I have made a Centering Turntable from a Lazy Susan Bearing, for my Ball Vice, Which I made myself from the photo's in the Meeks Book (The Ball Vice). This has Helped a lot to Get rid (Well Nearly) of the Bumps on the Scrols.
as I Dont have Chase the work aroung so much any more.
But Like Ya All Say, Practice Practice !!!!

ChrisB.

Latest posts

Sponsors