Easy coin carving for beginners

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
I,ve been recarving presidential dollars since the mint started minting them for a collector, he usually wants two of each recarved when they come on the market..These would be good coins for new engravers to carve and make a few dollars while learning to engrave and help buy or up grade tools..To me they are easier to carve then most coins, on this one I added a beard, recut all the hair, added frown marks....I,m always ready to answer questions or help in any way pertaining to coin carving..Before and after pictures

Attachments

• !BoFZvOQ!2k~$(KGrHqEH-EMEu(6ZPKb,BLmG2QM)2Q~~_12.jpg
    !BoFZvOQ!2k~$(KGrHqEH-EMEu(6ZPKb,BLmG2QM)2Q~~_12.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 286
  • MVC-099F.JPG
    MVC-099F.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 309

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was thinking it was a near perfect 'Before & After', considering how much the Presidency seems to age office holders.

The coin losing its golden luster is appropriate as well.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
I think it was before taxes and after taxes.... a hobo:).

Nice coin Bill as always. I like yours better, more detailed than the original How are the other non coin engraving projects going?
Keith

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Where is a good place to get these coins, please?

Go to http://usmint.gov
On the home page, on the right is a link "Circulating dollar coin direct ship".

You can buy them with your credit card, and shipping is free. So, your total out of pocket for $250 worth is $250; no fees or anything. (it initially shows $4.95 shipping, but as you proceed through the order that gets dropped). Plus, if you use a rewards credit card, you get points. :)

Note when you go in it has a big warning:
The immediate bank deposit of $1 Coins ordered through this Program does not result in their introduction into circulation and, therefore, does not comply with the intended purpose of the Program.
That's because people were buying tens of thousands of dollars worth, and immediately redepositing them in their banks, in the process earning lots of free miles and points. <rotfl>

BTW, billzach, I like what you did. I feel the coins are rather poorly designed and executed, (hope no one here worked on the originals and takes offense at that!) and your touch improved it immensely.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thank you for the information, Gargoyle.
Like you, I don't feel that some of the newer coins are as rich as some of the older designs ie. Morgan dollars, Buffalo nickle and the $20 gold eagle.
Billzack added a little zip to this one.
Look forward to seeing more of your beautiful stone carving.
Best regards.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Look forward to seeing more of your beautiful stone carving.
Best regards.
I've been doing a complete rebuild of my website; I've had the site since 1994, and much of the look-and-feel dated back to the beginning. It was time to move into the 21st century. :big grin:

The job isn't complete yet, but getting there. You'll like the friezes page of the fireplace section:
http://www.stonecarver.com/frieze.html
Also, the "about" page now has lots of studio photos.

CJ Tate

Elite Cafe Member
Bill - Look forward to seeing you then. I think I just went part time!! WAHOOO. I hope it sticks this time. So I hope to have a couple nickles to show for my time by then. Maybe you can take a critical look at them? and I'll post any I get done too.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Mr. Arnold,
Your new website is fantastic.
What a lot of work to build such a thing, great job.
The amount of beautiful artwork shown is mind boggling.
Thank you for the link.

Sponsors