Smith scrolls - revisited

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
My computer had a very bad virus for the past week, so I wasn't able to post any of my ongoing drawings from R. Smith's "Advanced Drawing of Scrolls." So here are what I've been able to do thus far. Sorry for so many images!!

This afternoon, Attila said that he'd give me a C+ for these. (I think his 3 week illness has cooked his brain!) Anyway, he also said he thinks I'm "ready for the steel." Which means I can start engraving with more vigor (while I continue my goal of reproducing all of Ron Smith's scrolls).

CC are always sought and appreciated... Tnx!

Attachments

• Dirle Smith8.jpg
    Dirle Smith8.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Dirle Smith9.jpg
    Dirle Smith9.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Dirle Smith10.jpg
    Dirle Smith10.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 116
  • Dirle Smith11.jpg
    Dirle Smith11.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Dirle Smith12.jpg
    Dirle Smith12.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Dirle Smith13.jpg
    Dirle Smith13.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Dirle Smith14.jpg
    Dirle Smith14.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Dirle Smith15.jpg
    Dirle Smith15.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Dirle Smith16.jpg
    Dirle Smith16.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Dirle Smith17.jpg
    Dirle Smith17.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 110

BES

Elite Cafe Member
I am very glad for you!

HI Mike!

I am very glad for you!
Your progress is already visible not only me but also another!

I do not know you can will think that I the swine, the *******, and the full villain! You can will think that I specially scoff at you! You can will think that I try to crush you and will humiliate!

Mike, you should throw out these thoughts on a dustbin if you trust me!
Will pass time when you will begin to do works, as the best masters of this forum, you will understand that I was right!

My teacher spoke – «The Best teacher, that which you hate it!!!»

I wish to tell what to undertake metal still early!

Your circles yet absolutely round, they are more similar to egg!
To cut, you will always be in time, learn to draw that you wish to cut!!!

This main thing!!!

Move forward, you can not love me, but then when will take place time you will tell to me many thanks!!!

BES
Eric S. Brezhitsky

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Congratulations, Mike.
You have done a lot of work and made good progress in understanding some of the main details of scroll. Well done.
A couple of places still have a few elbows in the main scroll backbone and a couple of places miss the directional flow of the minor shade lines. This will work out with time.
You are even bringing your own artistic judgement and style to some areas of the shading and I like it very much
Best.

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
Eric,

Your encouragement is very much appreciated. Yes, Attila (Ron P.) has suggested that I get more serious with my engraving. So, I will have to get my art right first, before I can cut them right. Tnx!

John,

Again, you are right. I think I've discovered that I need to have my art pad perfectly perpendicular to my eye. Otherwise, I get elbows and eggs that I can't see without turning my page.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to criticize my efforts. I'm not so much looking for 'ooohs' as much as specifically what I'm doing wrong so I can make the corrections before they become bad habits. Tnx!

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think John is right, you need to move to metal. Once you start cutting these, you will start to understand why design influences the graver rotation and vice versa.

Latest posts

Sponsors