Drawings

vanknife

Elite Cafe Member
Good day to All,
Since my last post to say Hello to this forum I took Good advice and went back drawing and read a lot about tapering stems and shadow lines; balance etc. I have done a drawing and edited it in Photo shop and made a line drawing of it in "Visio" and would like to hear if I am on the right track, The line drawings has no taper lines but I am sure that I will be able to add that to the engraving part. I also made a negative image as to see what the effect of a dark back ground is. The project is for a knife Bolster.
Any comments please.

Cheers

"VAN"

Attachments

• Original pencil sketch for bolster scrols 001.jpg
    Original pencil sketch for bolster scrols 001.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 138
  • Bolster True size_1.JPG
    Bolster True size_1.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Scroll no shadow lines.jpg
    Scroll no shadow lines.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Scroll Visio.jpg
    Scroll Visio.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Scroll Visio black background.jpg
    Scroll Visio black background.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 105

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Van. I think you're on the right track with your drawing. I would suggest that you focus on the shape of your scroll backbone lines and get them closer to the proportional spiral of the chambered Nautilus shell. When drawing scrolls, it's extremelly important that you achieve the correct spiral proportion.

You have a good balance of background area, and this is good. Quite often you'll see beginners have large areas of background or scrolls which are unbalanced.

I think you can refine what you have and make it a successful pattern. I'd spend more time getting the pencil drawing down, and then maybe work up the computer drawings if you need them.

Thanks for posting your drawing. We'll all be anxious to see your next version! / ~Sam

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yeah, what Sam said.

with one small addition. The small leaf coming out where the orgination ball is at the bottom of the pattern in the right hand corner is backwards to flow of the scroll. You could of course turn it around, but I think in this case with the space that is there, you would be just as well to leave it off entirely.

smays

pilkguns is right.. make sure your flow is correct. Maybe to fill that spot come off of the larger scroll just left of that one. Your layout looks good to me..uniform and balanced. It's just the little things that make the difference. Everyones styles arent the same so my opinion refers to how I look at things. With that in mind, I try to start the scroll with a little "meat" on it so to say, and gradually taper it down when it fades into the backbone. Keeping the scroll the same thickness doesnt really flow as nice in my opinion. Cut it and lets see it!

Shawn

Latest posts

Sponsors