DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't understand about "Does one have to make allowances in the initial blank size before starting, or do you just make "fitzalls?"
Arnaud,
A "fitzall" is a universal size, as in one size fits all. I note that many make bracelets for sale at shows and wonder how they choose a universal diameter.

If they are sized, then obviously one would start with a longer or shorter blank depending on the client's wrist size.

Dave

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was wondering, is 18.5 cm not to much, mostly is this the size of a closed bracelet with a clasp but with this type there is an open space to let the wrist through, or am I wrong.
Willem

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willem, my mistake, the length is 16,5 cm. Could still be to long, but I think the ones who have the money for it also look more wealthy. :big grin:

arnaud

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud,
I just want to let you know that I have enjoyed following this project. I loved the design drawings the first time I saw them.

Now seeing it that beautiful design being execututed so well is great. Your cutting and background removal work is flawless.
Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I made some progress on this one I would like to show.
It took a lot of patience to remove the background an stippling it.
This is the biggest engraving I ever did. The GRS positioning vise helped a lot.
Next I will oxidize the Titanium till dark blue, as there will be no bad viewing point on the background anymore, it will be dark colored.
I will show you that one to, before starting to ad the shading the best I can.

arnaud

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice job Arnaud !!!
When engraving tinanium, do I have to change my faceangle??
Can you tell us more about the graver you used for this job??
Thank you in advance.:tiphat:
Willem

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice job Arnaud !!!
When engraving tinanium, do I have to change my faceangle??
Can you tell us more about the graver you used for this job??
Thank you in advance.:tiphat:
Willem

Willem, I don't use a different graver for Ti work.
I only use the C-max blanks, I shape them sort like Chris Decamillis demonstrates the shaping of a Bulino graver. SO first I grid Two long facets to make a very narrow point.
As the Bulino does not have a heel, I use different angles.
Instead of 12° lift on the long faces for Bulino tool, I use 7° for a regular graver. And as I prefer a 110° I use a angle 180-110/2= 35°
For the face I use 55° and 20° for the heel and I use a parallel heel, sometimes short if I have to make small turns, longer heel if I need a consistent long line or curve.

For this bracelet I just had to sharpen the graver twice. However for the shading I will use the same geometry, but I will sharpen some more times.

I have read some have problems with the C-Max as the point can break and therefore they round the tip of the graver a bit, but I don't need to do that.

Most important in my opinion is that the C-Max graver is very high polished, if there is a small scratch on the cutting edge, it can break there.
So therefore I ordered the Blue Diamond spray instead of the green, The Bleu is the finest 100.000 MESH.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Finished and ready to bend

I finished the shading now, I know I still have to practice the shading a lot.
I did not try to shade it exactly symmetrical on both sides, just tried to do my best. I could have shade it more interesting, but that is just what I need to practice.

This bracelet was a lot of work, and ruing it before when it is almost finished is always regrettable. On the other hand, being to careful one does not learn.
So I have taken some risks while shading it and learned a lot from it.

I also have thought about how to bend it and came out with something easy that I will show when done and if it works.
During that time the bracelet will stay flat.

Although it was a lot of work, I enjoyed this biggest piece I ever did, hope you like it too. :big grin:

arnaud

rodsta

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Arnaud, it's great to see the final outcome on this bracelet.
The shading looks beautiful and it should be a good item for your shop
and a credit to your engraving skills. As well as a good learning tool for
yourself and others. Thanks for showing it.
Rodsta

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful bracelet Arnaud. It has been absolutely wonderful seeing your progress and watching how you listen to and act upon advice and then put it into practice. There is no doubt you are turning into a very fine engraver indeed, well done.

How many hours do you have in this bracelet, if you don't mind me asking?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus, thank you very much for your encouraging words. They mean a lot to me.
I spend more than 5 working days on this bracelet working 6 ours a day. That because I also like to drink some coffee as I'm not my own slave.
So if I would work very hard I perhaps could do it in 35 ours. Making the design 4 ours.

It is quite an expensive bracelet if I charge all the time I spend but that does not mater.
The eye glasses I will be working on will pay better as it will be not me who will sell them.
Anyway, I like engraving and it is something I can hold on till I'm 80 years old, so way to go.

arnaud

CJ Tate

Elite Cafe Member
Very, Very Beautiful! Watching this bracelet progress has been fantastic. Thank you for sharing your creation process with us.

Candy

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I ordered the GRS bracelet bender to bend this bracelet. Don't know when I will have it as it seems to be out of stock.
Still have to bend the bracelet.

arnaud

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Arnaud, beautiful achievement! Looks very good.
BTW you don't gonna shape it by hand like you told me? Appointed the Metal Former yesterday here in Germany, should get it next week.
Looking forward to see your piece finished.
Mario

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yes first I wanted to form it by hand on wood with a silk hammer, but I don't dare anymore now, as it was a lot of work engraving this one.
So I have some ideas how to bend it, not even sure if the GRS former will be used
I will try it on a common Ti plate first to find out

arnaud

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud

Let me pass along the tips I got on using the GRS bracelet former (from Diane Scalese:

1) Use tape to cover both sides of the blank. Mark both the front side and the back so you'll only occasionally bend one the wrong way. 'FACE' should be down, 'BACK' should be what's facing you as you do the bending.
2) Take small 'bites' - move the blank forward 1/4" or less each time.
3) The former will make a round bracelet - I follow Diane and finish up with an oval bracelet mandrel and a mallet to tweak the shape to oval.

I strongly recommend you practice on a scrap strip or two before bending this beauty.

I think you're going to love your bracelet bender.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know how fast Ti work hardens but with copper you can actually get all the way through bending the wrong way and still fix it.

And yes, there's a reason I know that. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Sponsors