Colt SAA factory patterns

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
I wondered if there was a book or website that showed some of the original Colt style engraving for the various grades and amounts of coverage.

Thanks Ken

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just about any Colt book by R.L.Wilson Particularly the 2 volume set of Colt Engraving (about $1.000.00 if you can find them). http://www.wilsonbooks.com/

There are also some Colt books by Doc O'Mera (Classic Colt Peacemakers) and Denis Adler with lots of engraved Colts.

Also look on gun auction web sites. You will find lots of them there but it is a tedious search to find any particular model with a specific level of coverage. Unfortunatly, the Colt factory web site will be of no help to you.

I have over 700 pictures of engraved Colts in my personal picture archives.

RB

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I only have the second editon Colt Engraving book and it has a lot of great photos.
In the world of internet forums and instant photos, don't forget about the "old school" ways of doing things... The library... Usually a library can get most books for you from other libraries for nothing but a small postal fee. I did this in the past for many books that were out of print.
Rex

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I remember many moons ago getting the L. D. Nimschke book before I was able to obtain one. It took about 7 days but they were able to find one somewhere in the US for about a $1.00 postage. I think they give you extended loan time as well.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
For any of you near or passing through Trinidad, CO the gunsmithing school there has one of the finest collection of firearms related books in the country including all the engraving books.
You would need to check with them about their lending policy www.trinidadstate.edu but they have a fine reading/study area attached to the library.
Best.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John's post above reminds me that when Scott Pilkington, John Rohner and I were last at the Fraizer arms museum in Louisville, KY we saw a hugh collection of gun books that they had recently inherited and were cataloging. In the colllection was just about every gun engraving book including many of the Colt books. This collection will eventually form the basis of a library at the museum.

CRB

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
I did recently have my local library get the American Engravers book in for me. It came from the Cody, WY museum library. I guess that is the only place that would loan it out(just because they had 2 copies) It was interesting to see some of the earlier engravers and how many are still active today.
Ken

Latest posts

Sponsors