+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Colt SAA factory patterns

Hi,
    I wondered if there was a book or website that showed some of the original Colt style engraving for the various grades and amounts of coverage.

Thanks Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Just about any Colt book by R.L.Wilson Particularly the 2 volume set of Colt Engraving (about $1.000.00 if you can find them). http://www.wilsonbooks.com/

There are also some Colt books by Doc O'Mera (Classic Colt Peacemakers) and Denis Adler with lots of engraved Colts.

Also look on gun auction web sites. You will find lots of them there but it is a tedious search to find any particular model with a specific level of coverage. Unfortunatly, the Colt factory web site will be of no help to you.

I have over 700 pictures of engraved Colts in my personal picture archives.

RB
    Last edited by Roger Bleile; 02-23-2010 at 01:38 AM.
    C. Roger Bleile
    Author of American Engravers and American Engravers-The 21st Century
    http://www.engravingglossary.com/
    FEGA Historian
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. Johannes Brahms

Post Thanks / Like

Roger, thanks for the info.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.de...&qsort=&page=1

Looks like this is available at Alibris?!?

Post Thanks / Like

I only have the second editon Colt Engraving book and it has a lot of great photos.
    In the world of internet forums and instant photos, don't forget about the "old school" ways of doing things... The library... Usually a library can get most books for you from other libraries for nothing but a small postal fee. I did this in the past for many books that were out of print.
    Rex

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
    Post Thanks / Like

A good thing to remember Rex. The last time I did that if I recollect properly the charge was 25 cents. Yes, it has been a while.
    TOS
    (The Other Sam)

FEGA LIFE
    ACGG LIFE
    Guns, Guitars and Old Cars
    A.I.E.

Cravingravin=a chronic malady that afflicts some of the world's nicest people...TOS

Post Thanks / Like

I remember many moons ago getting the L. D. Nimschke book before I was able to obtain one. It took about 7 days but they were able to find one somewhere in the US for about a $1.00 postage. I think they give you extended loan time as well.

Post Thanks / Like

For any of you near or passing through Trinidad, CO the gunsmithing school there has one of the finest collection of firearms related books in the country including all the engraving books.
    You would need to check with them about their lending policy www.trinidadstate.edu but they have a fine reading/study area attached to the library.
    Best.
    John B.

Post Thanks / Like

John's post above reminds me that when Scott Pilkington, John Rohner and I were last at the Fraizer arms museum in Louisville, KY we saw a hugh collection of gun books that they had recently inherited and were cataloging. In the colllection was just about every gun engraving book including many of the Colt books. This collection will eventually form the basis of a library at the museum.

CRB
    C. Roger Bleile
    Author of American Engravers and American Engravers-The 21st Century
    http://www.engravingglossary.com/
    FEGA Historian
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. Johannes Brahms

Post Thanks / Like

I did recently have my local library get the American Engravers book in for me. It came from the Cody, WY museum library. I guess that is the only place that would loan it out(just because they had 2 copies) It was interesting to see some of the earlier engravers and how many are still active today.
    Ken