Those darned scrolls!

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
got Ron to help me set some goals this week to motivate me and to better gauge my progress. I have to:

1) have Ron approve at least 10 scroll drawings, before I
2) have Ron approve at least 10 scroll drawings with leaves
3) have at least 10 engraved scrolls approved, before I can
4) engrave at least 10 scrolls with leaves for approval

I took a bunch of drawings to Ron's this past Monday night before heading to Brooklyn. I got ZERO approved! (I think he was cold, his graver was dull and he hadn't had dinner yet.)

Anyway - here is the next iteration of my scrolls, along with a never-ending engraved bunch of scroll spines. The overall engraving objective was to get the depth and roundness consistent. I also practiced 'eye-balling' straight lines.

Please tell me what you think (except for Ron!).

Mike

Attachments

• Dirle_10Scrolls.jpg
    Dirle_10Scrolls.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 190
  • Dirle_ScrollsCutSM.jpg
    Dirle_ScrollsCutSM.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 201

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mike: I'd give you a B on the first image based on the fact that the majority maintain a decent logarithmic spiral. I'm afraid I'd flunk you on the second image. The scrolls not only fail to follow the correct spiral, but the smaller scrolls grow much too abruptly from the large scroll. They should sweep out gracefully from the large scroll. Part of scroll design is developing an eye for what makes good scrollwork good. It will come with practice, and you certainly seem determined to get there. I like that!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
when you really look at this you don't see a pleasant "flow". instead, you see chaos, confusion, and too much clash. try to acheive graceful flow and pleasant scroll interaction. perhaps practice with fewer elements at first, till you develop an eye for this type design work.

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
Sam and Monk,

Tnx! for looking at my submissions and giving me the benefit of your experience and suggestions.

The engraved scrolls were not designed to flow or be really accurate, but give me the opportunity to just draw on the plate and cut, draw and cut.

I have not been able to get my copier to make even a decent transfer, so I'm relegated to drawing rudimentary scrolls and trying to make up for the deficiency by eyeballing the cut. I find this is actually a benefit for learning how to get more out of a drawing than just cutting a great transfer (although I also see it as a short fall).

When I see the scrolls you guys are able to design and cut I feel quite intimidated, but my taskmaster (teacher) Ron P. says to just keep plugging away and I'll get it. He's very patient with me!

Again, Tnx! for looking and responding. It is very meaningful to me.

Mike

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mike,
When I do scrolls I stand in front of my vise which sits on a pedestal, & I find it much easier if I'm hovered over the work while cutting..especially the mainlines (outter lines/back bones). When I started out in the early 70's I wasn't satisfied with sitting, & I knew that our fellow engravers across the pond were standing at their vise, but I took it one step further because at that time I was working strictly with hammer, chisel & push tools, & I started to walk around the pedestal tapping away & was able to do a scroll in one pass without any hesitation...no wasted motion. You can do the same thing with a power assist tool, even with a foot pedal. I hope this works for you.
Ron was right you definitely need to get control over your chisel, but to get that passing "A"..bring him a big can of cashews.
JJ Roberts
http://jjrobertsengraving.com

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The engraved scrolls were not designed to flow or be really accurate, but give me the opportunity to just draw on the plate and cut, draw and cut.

That in itself is a mistake. Each and every line you cut should be as if you're engraving an expensive item. Approach practice with determination and a desire for perfection.

Transferring has its place in hand engraving, but I would advise drawing every scroll. If you do that, you'll advance much faster than you would by transferring.

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
JJ and Sam,

Tnx! guys! I agree that 'perfect' practice makes perfect. I'm just a little too eager to get better and know better than to take short cuts. I need some folks to reel me back in at times. Tnx! for taking me on!

Mike

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for this thread Mike! :thumbs up:

Getting to peek over someone's shoulder while they're learning from the Masters helps all of us.