Old engraved cup

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is a sterling cup that belonged to my great grandfather. It was his wine tasting cup. His family had vineyards and produced wine in Italy. The engraving is fairly poor, but most likely it was done in the late 1800's in much less than an optimum environment and with limited tools.
Bellora was his last name and fratelli means brother or brothers. I think.
Just thought I'd post it for the halibut.

Attachments

• P2021714.jpg
    P2021714.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 254

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, you get the grapes replanted here and we will stop over and help with the pressing.....the whole group will help with the taste test....I can hear our musicians already.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike,

Thanks for sharing your family treasure with us. I love to see things like that.
You are correct; fratelli = brothers.

Roger

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mike,

That is a beautiful family heirloom!

Regarding the word "Fratelli", it is the plural form of the word "fratello" that means brother as you have said but I am not sure about the words order.
I mean, in Latin based languages the word "brothers" usually comes before the last name so in this case would be Fratelli Bellora to talk about the Bellora brothers.
But also you may consider the possibility that Fratelli be another last name so, in this case Bellora Fratelli would be making reference to two families.
Just rambling about all this! :beat up:

Best regards,
Leonardo

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Mr. Mike,
Great old family treasure you have, both the cup and the winemakers skill.
I would enjoy drinking some of your great squeezings out of it any time, day or night.
Especially if there was some of your great salami to go with it :)
Best to you and the family.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do Cherish this little piece of my family history. My grandmother knew that I loved that little cup and she made sure I got it. Theres not much left over the years.

They were from northern Italy so maybe the dialect may have put brothers after the name. Just a guess, because I have never heard mention of a family Fratelli. I was a pretty nosy listener when the grown-ups were talking:) Until they started speaking Italian. I'm going to do some investigating Leonard. You got me thinking now.

John I can't wait until we pop some corks and break some bread again. Hope it will be real soon.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Very cool, Mike! What a cool family treasure. I have my grandfather's mandolin.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Very cool Mike. About the only thing that made it over from Italy in my family was my grandfather's passport. The cool part is he came over on the (steamship) Mayflower.

Joe Paonessa

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's cool Joe. You can trace back a lot of info with a passport.
Sam was it made in italy. I guess music goes way back in your family.

Last edited:

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here you go Chris. Sorry it's just a quick photo nothing fancy. This style cup is still made today.

Attachments

• P2021720.jpg
    P2021720.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Sponsors