What I have been doing

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Many of you have already seen this piece, and to tell the story, this piece is part of a long process on it's way to the end result, which is a modern Volcanic rifle.

A friend and master machinist in houston, Charlie Mynhier, in the process of developing the skill to produce this gun, made this little pistol to test the barrels he was making from scratch, rifling and all. To see whether they would shoot accurately or not, he made this little single shot to test his barrels. He made a few of them before he got the right configuration to get the best results. He made this gun for me after inspiring me with the quality of his work. We traded work for it. It is one of three, but actually one of a kind. I suggested a couple changes from the original prototyes and so mine is one of a kind.

It features a bullet trap in the grip that holds two extra rounds. It is a forty cal. S&W. I can hit a tennis ball regularly even with my need to shoot with my left eye, and my nerves not too steady these days. So if I can shoot it, the gun will shoot.

After that, I decided it needed a qualified display case, so another friend made the box. Charlie wanted to call it "The Scorpion", so I used that theme to do the accessories and such.

I named mine "Texas Scorpion" and went with that idea, and that is inlayed on top of the barrel in gold, with a silver star along side the title. I also have a brass title plate inside the box.

I french fitted the gun and accessories myself, and also made the cleaning rod and screw driver that starts the dissasymbly.

Once the box was finished, I inlayed the oval scorpion theme in the lid in the center of the Texas. I waited till the box was finished with sealer and then glued the oval in.

Inside the box you can see another scorpion, but this one was a real one at one time. I have had this solid, 14k gold scorpion for years, wondering what I would do with it. Years ago, me and a friend in my shop cast this from a real once live, scorpion to show the detail we could get in casting. It sat around here for all those years until this project came along. I wonder if that scorpion ever knew what his destiny was, for that is what it seems to me.

I made another oval in the thickness of the platforme the gun is fitted into, to display him with a clear plexiglass cover where he is perminantly installed.

Now this project sits on my coffee table ready to be witnessed by any visitors who come to see me. It is my gun and not for sale.

I was going to bring it to Reno, but since I couldn't, I thought you guys might like to see the finished project.

Now the Volcanic is coming into fruition, but is a slow process making a gun from scratch, one piece at a time. I feel very lucky to be able to own such a piece. It is a work of art in itself, and feel almost blastfamous thinking about engraving it, but you know us engravers. Just can't stand to see bare metal on such a worthy canvas.

It too will be in 40 cal., but it will be a really short cartridge, as the original Volcanic shot a rocket ball which was simply a bullet, hollowed out, with a very little powder in it due to it's size, and one of it's reasons for failure. It wasn't very powerful. But this little gun with a carteidge and loaded with modern powder, is quite efficient, but not a long range gun. The bullets are custom made. I see it as a step between the original Volcanic and the Henry that ended up being the success of the idea. The Henry Rifle was chambered for the 44/40 and was a huge success and the rest is history, as it went on to become the winchesters of today.

I am very fortunate to have one of four of these. The first one (prototype) made of aluminum, the second made of brass for the frame like the original, the third made of steel for me, and the fourtrh made of stainles steel made for Charlie himself.

It will be some time before he finished mine, but I am waiting with much excitement. May have to go and get some new glases again, as these are fading on me, so quickly, but I will give it a go. The first one (aluminum frame) is beautiful and functions like a watch. Smooth as silk.

He had made a pistol before he went on to the rifle and it shucks, fires, and loads flawlessly. There was a little trouble with ejection, due to the short bullet, but Charlie has that ironed out.

Maybe I will show some more pictures when I get it if you guys are interested.

I hope I can engrave it worthy of Charlie's efforts. Like I said, it is a work of art in itself.

Ron S

Attachments

• front top of box.jpg
    front top of box.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 194
  • oval inlayed into texas, inlayed into box.jpg
    oval inlayed into texas, inlayed into box.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 209
  • straight down on box lid.jpg
    straight down on box lid.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 194
  • front open on planter.jpg
    front open on planter.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC00017.JPG
    DSC00017.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Another masterpiece from both you and Charlie, Ron.
Look forward to seeing the gun and you (and Miss Liz) in Reno next year.
You were missed, partner.
Best always.

Northwest29

:thumbs up: :thumbs up: :thumbs up:

Excellent work, as always Ron. In doing the "French Fitted " case it appears that you used crushed velvet? What did you cover with the velvet, hardboard, foam. or? Thanks for sharing this work and history in the making and by all means post more photos as they become available - I can assure you that I would like to see them.

Andrew Biggs

Ron..........You're a class act all the way.

I was one of the many that was able to view the gun at the Grand Masters last year. Typical of Ron, he was saying that it was a bit rough in some areas because of his thumb "issue" and eyesight............yeah, right!!! :)

It is absoulutley a stunning peice and the box just sets it all off perfectley.

Cheers
Andrew

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
It is a work of art in itself Ron. Such things can be left alone and are difficult to add significant value to. You've clearly done that and have set a benchmark for the embellishment of Charlie's creations.

I saw the Volcanic rifle Charlie made. Colin Stolzer sent me this link to it.

http://garagegunsmithing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=213

.... another beauty that can stand alone. .... Unless, of course, it has your engraving on it.

Chris

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
WOW !

What an honor.

That you find something I make, worthy of your time and skill.

Thank You My Friend.

This is the Volcanic, Ron is talking about.

Here she is opened.

Here is the rear sight installed.

PS, that Tennis Ball was at 18 yards.

Good shooting Ron.

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I need to make some corrections on my other thread. The Henry was made to fire a 44 cal. rimfire cartridge and the 44/40 didn't come along until the 1873 Winchester.

Thanks Chris for that link. I found this project to be very informative and have been following it too on another site with much interest. Just can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm going to short out my computer from all the drooling, HaHaHa

If you see this Charlie, all I can say is, thanks for the inspiration buddy. It takes a locomotive to get me going these days, but you have succeeded. And in truth you had the locomotive that started it all.

Rock on!

Ron S

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
hey: my good man. a wonderful story and a great piece of art to get me thru this lousy pa winter ! now, since you don't want to sell this gem, i operate a private a private charity. whaddya say ? donate to the society of monks !

monk

Staff member
dang ! that rifle is so clean looking. almost hard to believe it is real.i'd give some stuff just to shoot that hummer ! man, the fit between the metal and the wood, there aint no room. looks to be perfect.

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now that society of Monks sounds awful impressive, and I am somewhat a charitable man...........but.........Eat your heart out Monk !!....Heeheehee.....how bout I give you a bullet?...........unfired of course.

Winter is a good time to get some work done. Can't do anything else. Yep! Although our winters are pretty mild, it was down in the 20s last night. I am waiting for spring Monk, and sandbass season is just around the corner. Can't stand the cold like I used to. Come on down to Texas.

Ain't that rifle purty?

Ron S

Latest posts

Sponsors