PMC3 (Precious Metal Clay)

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
Has anyone tried to engrave PMC3? After firing it is 99% silver with a S.G. of 9.3 (rolled silver is 10.5).

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
What we were sent was nasty stuff - soft and mushy - to engrave.

We turned down all future "oportunities" to participate in that venture...

Also, a #$%@*! to solder anything to, spongy and wicks it up.

We try to avoid using it, cost is prohibitive and the resulting piece much, much heavier than a fabricated counterpart...

Brian Marshall
SJAS
Stockton, CA USA 95209
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i did a medallion ( back side) monogram on this stuff. it was bronze or some such stuff, not sterling. cut kind of gritty/ crumbly like. definetly needed lube. i think one problem with this stuff can be the inconsistency in the individuals processing it. would not want to do this for a living.

Abigail

Administrator
Uh oh. :eek: I'm taking a PMC class when we go to Tucson next week. Not silver, but copper. I've always loved copper jewelry which is probably a relief to Sam. (I could have said I just love platinum) :big grin:. I guess we won't be doing any collaborative PMC / engraving projects. :(
Cheers!
Abigail

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Someone either here or there posted a really cool 'ancient' coin he did using PMC. He carved dies and used them to form the PMC 'coin' and, I think did some touch up work on it.

That project came out great but based on what he said and what I know about PMC I'd guess it'd be best to limit engraving attempts.

monk

Staff member
abigail: remember that pmc stuff shrinks when you fire it. be careful when you make sams' neck chain.

spank7357

Elite Cafe Member
vermilion, ohio (on lake erie) and Inverness, Fla.
Abigail, I bought a kit that included the PMC, a sculpting tool, and a small kiln to fire the piece. This I shared with my grandaughter on one of her visits. At 10 years old I saw this as a simple introduction into "jewelery making". It was a fascinating experience for her and fun for grampa too. I had purchased a book of PMC projects to go along with the kit and it all cost less than a hundred bucks. Her friends young and old are impressed and she is now designing her next jewelry piece. She engraved her name while the product was soft and that is what's good about PMC, it can be molded like clay and it IS silver. There are some very simple yet beautifull pieces that can be made and displayed. I would not want to either engrave or solder the stuff. The clay portion turns to ash and is part of the silver as it bakes. That may be why the graininess in the metal. I did wonder to myself what tumbling, buffing and polishing would do. We'll get into that now that she is 11 and is ready to grind knives.

Best regards, Dave "Spank" Spanski

lesholmes

Elite Cafe Member
Abigail,

In Feb you said you were taking a class in copper clay, how did it go? Do you have a picture to post?

I have done a little in silver clay. Gave the pieces away before taking pictures so have nothing to post.

I would like to know how you like the process.

Les Holmes
Montgomery, AL

monk

Staff member
actually, this is pretty neat stuff for those who want to create "a little something", that is , without investing a small fortune for a one-time-deal. my sister wanted to get away from ceramics and oil painting for awhile, and take a shot at jewely casting. instead i directed her to the pmc thing. she was happy with the few pieces she did, and didn't go broke in the process.

Latest posts

Sponsors