Engraving positioning fixture.

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Attached are some photos of an engraving fixture I just made. It allows me to easily reposition the work ( or in this case this Smith and Wesson frame that I am about to start engraving) any place that I want in relation to the center of my ball vise. I made this out of scrap wood and is similar in design to the GRS positioning vise. There are three pieces of ¼ inch board that are sandwitched together and bond together with a ¼ inch bolt. The hole in the center of the middle piece of ¼ inch board is about 4 inches in diameter and is about 6 inches on the out side diameter. The other two pieces of ¼ inch board are about 5 inches in diameter, and there is a piece of ¾ X 1 ½ piece of pine glued to the bottom layer of ¼ inch board. The top section of the fixture ¾ X 4 inch x 6 inch piece of pine is screwed to two blocks of wood that are glued to the middle ¼ inch board which has the 4 inch hole cut out of its center. So, by loosening the wing nut on the bottom of the fixture I can move the upper part of the fixture on the Y axis 4 inches. And by loosening my ball vise I can move the fixture 6 inches on the X axis. The GRS thermalock that I used to mount the S & W frame to the top of the fixture is the most important ingredient with out thermalock this fixture wood never have happened. I hope that you can use this idea. It is my gift to the engraving community. I hope to give it to GRS after I finish this job and hopefully they will make some improvements and mass produce a fixture that we can all buy for a reasonable price.

Attachments

• ENGRAVING FIXTURE_edited-1.jpg
    ENGRAVING FIXTURE_edited-1.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 263
  • END VIEW OF FIXTURE_edited-1.jpg
    END VIEW OF FIXTURE_edited-1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_3492_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3492_edited-1.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 266
  • SIDE VIEW OF FIXTURE_edited-1.jpg
    SIDE VIEW OF FIXTURE_edited-1.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 245
  • TOP VIEW OF ENGRAVING FIXTURE_edited-1.jpg
    TOP VIEW OF ENGRAVING FIXTURE_edited-1.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 239

jack

Not bad but I have this type of fixture for about 6 years now. I think Steve Lindsay has something just about like this. It works great. Jack

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Ed,
I would have to agree that a turntable allows you to the same thing but with a turntable you can move the item "on the fly" and not have to stop and loosen anything. You can use a turntable with the vise you have as well.

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Scott, Jack and Rex, thanks for commenting. You all are right the turntable is pretty sweet and I do use mine especially when using my microscope, but I prefer using my optiviser and I think there are plenty of times when trying to hold a paciular item that this type of fixture would be especially good. When I engraved with hammer and chisel this would have been pretty sweet. But I would have made most of this fixture out of steel or aliuminum.

Thanks again

Ed DeLorge

Latest posts

Sponsors